nine | part one

blues saraceno - the river

" evil comes when you call my name, the wicked shall rise "

On the operating table was a young man, no older than 20-something

On the operating table was a young man, no older than 20-something. He looked perfectly normal, save for the huge gashes running from his lower abdomen to his chest. He'd been completely torn open, the weapon that killed him slicing through organs and bone.

"They're coming back so we don't have much time to talk," Deaton said hurriedly, pouring a clear liquid onto a cotton pad and bringing it to Scott's wound.
"W-what is that?" Scott shook.
"Rubbing alcohol. You don't want it to get infected, do you?" Scott winced as Deaton patted the cut. "You'll heal the same, just not as quickly because of Derek,"
"Why not?" I asked, feigning obliviousness. Wait, what was I doing? I wasn't going to cover for Derek's ass after what he did to Scott. He'd lost all my trust and I wasn't going to help him.
"We should tell -" Scott said, giving Deaton an uncomfortable look. He didn't want to tell me but he knew he had to.
"Scott, I know. Everything,"
"What?" He breathed.
"Who told you?" Deaton asked, completely halting disinfecting Scott.
"Derek. He came to my room after the ice rink date and wanted to know what D'Angelo told me. In return, I made him tell me everything I wanted to know,"
"That asshole!" Scott growled.
"He told me not to tell you because he didn't want you but I'm not doing him any more favours,"
"I'm sorry we didn't tell you earlier, Rose," Deaton sighed, looking ashamed. "Please understand that we were just trying to protect you,"
"I understand and I'm so grateful for that. But we've got more important things to talk about before - who was it that was here?"
"The Argents. And they're coming back,"
"With Gerard,"
"If my suspicions are correct,"
"How do you know about all this?" Scott asked. I felt slightly comforted knowing that I wasn't the only one kept in the dark about things.
"It's a longer story. What I can tel you is that I know about your kind. Your kind, I can help,"
"I hate to be the one to address the elephant in the room," I said sarcastically, "but what the hell happened to him?"
"This is something different. A werewolf didn't do this,"
"Do you know what did?" Scott asked.
"No. All I know is that this thing killed Isaac's father, it killed the man at the garage and now it's taken another victim. But the Argents will know what it is, and this is the crucial part. They'll have some sort of record or book. It'll have histories and notations of all the things they've discovered,"
"All the things?" I cried. "How many different things are there?"
"They're here," Scott said darkly, pulling me behind a door, into a dark room. We hid as the front door opened.
"I'm starting to think I need to buy a more prominent closed sign," Deaton said as they marched in. There was definitely more than two. Had they seriously brought back up?
"Hello, Alan," I heard Gerard's shaky voice say. "It's been a while. Last I heard you retired," His voice sounded so much more sinister now that I knew the truth about him.
"Last I heard you followed a code of conduct," Deaton shot back calmly.
"If you hadn't noticed, this body is one of ours," I recognised the third voice as Chris Argent, Allison's dad.
"I did. I also noticed the gunpowder residue on his fingertips, so don't assume that I'll be swayed by your philosophy just because I'll answer a few questions,"
"He was only 24,"
"Killers come in all ages,"
"All ages, sizes and shapes. It's the last one that concerns us," Gerard almost growled. I failed to imagine how Deaton managed to keep his cool around people as intimidating as this.
"Tell us what you found,"
"See this cut?" Deaton said. I heard a crunch and shuddered as I thought about which bone made that noise. "Precise. Almost surgical. But this isn't the wound that killed him. This is had a more interesting purpose,"
"Related to the spine?" Asked Gerard.
"That's right. Whatever made this cut slices with a paralytic toxin potent enough to disable all motor functions. These were the cause of death," I assumed he was gesturing to the giant gashes across the victim's torso. "Notice the patterns. Five on each side,"
"Five for each finger," Mr Argent observed.
"Each claw," Gerard corrected him. He was clearly trying to impose his 'all monsters are bad' ideology whenever possible.
"As you can see it dug in and slashed upwards, evicerating the lungs and slicing through the bone of the ribcage with ease,"
"Ever seen anything like this before?" Chris asked Gerard.
"No,"
"Any idea what killed him?"
"No," Deaton replied. "But I can tell you it's fast, remarkably strong and has the capacity to render its victims helpless within seconds," Terror filled me as I imagined the kind of creature that would be capable of such horrors. But there was a feeling in the back of my head, almost like an itch; this thing could be one of my best friends.
"If you're saying we should be cautious, we get it," Mr Argent said with a sense of superiority.
"I'm saying you should be afraid because, in the natural world, predators with paralytic toxins use them to catch and eat pray. This man wasn't eaten. That means whatever wanted to kill this man only wanted to kill him. In fact, killing may be its only purpose," Scott and I shared a look, both thinking exactly the same thing. This creature was still out there and it wouldn't stop killing until it was dead. But the thing was also an innocent teenager.