fifteen

BANKS - beggin for thread

" strapped down to something that you don't understand "

After school that day, I went straight to the surgery as fast as I could

After school that day, I went straight to the surgery as fast as I could. I needed to speak with Deaton in private before our meeting with Scott and Derek later that night.

I walked through the door to find him in the surgery, mulling over something.
"D?" I called. He looked up from whatever he was doing and smiled when he realised it was me.
"Rose! What a lovely surprise! What are you doing here?"
"There's, uh...something happened last night and I need to tell you about it,"
"You mean when you healed Erica by singing and your eyes turned purple?" He asked.
"How do you - wait what? My eyes turned purple?" That was news to me. Why didn't anyone think to mention it at the time?
"Scott told me. I've been doing some research but I haven't been able to find anything as of yet. But this is a huge clue, so I think we're close,"
"That's amazing," I grinned.
"He also told me about the song you sang to Erica, which healed her. Do you have any idea what it was?"
"No, but that's another thing I came to talk about. I want you to teach me everything you know about protection and healing and the supernatural. If I'm going to be a part of this, I want to know everything I can to protect myself and my friends,"
"I thought you'd never ask," He beamed, pulling out a stool. "Take a seat, Rose," I sat down and he began to rustle around in some drawers, pulling out jars and cases. Placing them on the table in front of him, he turned back around to find me writing the date down in my yellow legal pad with a pencil between my teeth.
"I really don't think you'll be needing that," He chuckled.
"Hmm?" I looked up, hair falling across my face. He took the pencil and set in down on the table.
"I said 'you won't be needing any of that',"
"Oh, right," I coughed, putting everything away. He began moving stuff onto the operating table which I was sitting at.
"I'll show you the basics first. The stuff you'll probably have to use the most. This," He held up an old wooden case and opened it to reveal several bunches of dried flowers, "is aconite. Also known as wolfsbane," I nodded understandingly. I'd heard of wolfsbane before somewhere and was familiar with its purposes.
"When a werewolf is exposed to small-medium dosages, it brings out the transformation and makes it impossible for them to control it. It also makes it impossible for them to heal, fight and renders essentially helpless. When given in high enough dosages, it can kill. Different types of aconite include Nordic Blue Monkshood and Yellow Monkshood. These are the two most potent types, and the most commonly used by hunters for that reason. Wolfsbane poisoning must be treated within 24 hours to avoid fatality, but there are ways to remove the poison from the body. One way is to burn it out of a wound, which is useful for all types of wolfsbane but incredibly painful. Yellow Monkshood can be removed by creating a small incision in the chest, between the bottom of the pectoral muscles to the top of the abdomen. Nordic Blue Monkshood can only be cured by itself, when it is burned and rubbed on the infected area.
"But wolfsbane isn't just a poison. It can also be used in medicine, which you'll be interested to know. Like I mentioned before, it can be burned and rubbed on a wound to cure wolfsbane poisoning. It can also be used to heal wound on the inside that have been inflicted by an Alpha, once the external wounds are healed. Finally, and this is the most dangerous one, it can be used to resurrect the dead," My eyes widened in shock.
"What?"
"That's right. But don't worry, it's incredibly difficult to perform and hardly ever successful, so I doubt you'll ever experience it,"
Phew, I thought.
"As you probably know, silver is also fatal for a werewolf. It is said to cause them great pain moments before death, like being...burned from the inside out. A silver amulet or any other item kept on your person can be useful in hurting them, but to kill them it must enter their body to poison their blood. It can be ingested but the most popular methods are by shooting them with a silver bullet or arrow. And the last thing you need to know about today is mountain ash," He picked up a small jar filled with dark grey powder. "It's the most useful protection against a werewolf or any other supernatural creature. By placing it around the perimeter of whatever you want to protect, it prevents anything supernatural from entering or leaving the circle,"
"Seriously? So, like, if the kanima was about to attack I could just pour it in a circle around myself and it wouldn't be able to touch me?"
"Exactly. Now, I doubt any of this stuff would be of any use to you in here, so I made you a special...kit, of sorts," He picked up a small wooden box with intricate carvings on the front. "It's got everything you need to protect and treat yourself around you," He slid it across the table to me as I stared at it with wonder. The gift he'd given me was so incredible and so much more than anyone would think. He'd given me the power to save people.