Chapter 14

Isn't it funny how things work out? Don't Be Shy gained so much popularity, but I was rereading it and it is actually awfully written.😂 I much more prefer the sequel. Also, the fic that I hated writing the most (The Other Petrova Girl) is my most popular book. Huh. Oh, I'm also going to do some shameless self promotion! Please checkout my covershop if you need a cover for your next book! Anyway, onto the chapter!

Elena's POV
I lay on that bed for again, what seemed like hours.

It was the same thing as before, no falling asleep, no crying, just wondering what the hell I had done.

Suddenly, I heard the door to the bedroom creak open and I turned quickly.

Caroline was standing there, wringing her hands.

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure."

I gestured at her and she walked in quickly, sitting next to me on the bed.

For a minute we just sat in silence, and then she took me in her arms and hugged me tightly. For a minute I was surprised, but I hugged her back.

I was just happy to be with my best friend in this moment.

When we let go of each other, our eyes were both shiny.

Caroline wiped her face, trying to stop herself from crying. I was doing the same thing, but I didn't know why she was doing it.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well... I guess... It's Katherine, and she's your sire, and I didn't know what everyone would think, or if they would judge me... Or..."

I sighed.

"I guess I didn't think anyone would understand."

"I don't really understand, you're right about that, Elena, but I don't really care either. All I want is for you to be happy. Guy or girl, Katherine or Stefan, I just care about your happiness. I'm your best friend, Elena, do you think I would really judge you for who you choose to love?"

Her words were making me misty eyed, and I let out a choked back sob as I hugged her again.

"Thank you so much."

Caroline and I lay down on my bed and we talked about nonsense for hours, just laughing and bonding, something I wouldn't think was possible in a time like this.

"Do you think Bonnie will ever find an antidote?" I asked Caroline, turning to her.

Caroline smiled at me.

"It's Bonnie. Of course she will. And now she has even more of a reason to find one. She has to save Katherine, for you."

I took her hand in mine and squeezed it. She gripped it tightly back, letting me know that she was there, reassuring me that we were in this together.

And that made me feel better, even if I wasn't positive Bonnie would ever find an antidote.

The next morning, we were off again, with vampire strength and weapons to again try and fight a demon that seemed to be resistant to all of our attempts at killing it.

Again, we went to the town square, where the demon seemed to have found temporary residence for its stay.

This time, the tension was higher. For one, we had lost one of the members of our team, and considering we could hardly handle yesterday, it was not exactly going to be a joyride today.

For another thing, although Bonnie and Caroline seemed to be okay with me and Katherine, Damon and Stefan had still not spoken to me or even looked at me since my outburst, and everything was awkward.

Arriving in town square, I was completely surprised by how different it already looked. The whole place was abandoned, papers and other litter flying over the ground.

Windows were broken, doors kicked open, and several buildings had scorch marks on them.

This was absolutely not the town I had grown up in.

Bonnie cleared her throat.

"Well, everyone's either in buildings under the protection spell, which probably wore off by now, or they already left town."

"Which means more people are probably afflicted." Stefan sighed.

"Then we should get out there." I put in, earning a glance that I couldn't decipher from both brothers.

"I agree." Caroline said.

"We should get going, if we're going to make more progress than yesterday."

With those words, everyone parted their separate ways.

Stefan was right about there being more afflicted people. Once the protection spells Bonnie had placed had worn off, people had left, probably trying to flee, and the demon took the opportunity.

There were more people to catch, take to the Salvatore and chain up.

Every time I caught a person and had to bring them into a cell, I tried to spot Katherine, but I couldn't see her. The cells were crowded and dark, and all the people inside were similar, hunched over and mechanical.

I considered calling her name once or twice, but I doubted these things could even process hearing their own names.

Occasionally during the day, I would run into Stefan or Damon. Every time, they would look at me and then go the other way.

They clearly were not happy about Katherine, but with Bonnie and Caroline's support, I honestly didn't care what they thought of my relationships. It was my life. I didn't have to date Salvatores on and off for the rest of my life.

As I was roaming the streets, on the lookout, Caroline ran up to me, chest heaving.

"Elena, thank god, I couldn't find anyone else!"

"What? What's wrong?"

"Elena, I think I found the cure!"

For a minute, I couldn't speak, only stare at Caroline like she was completely insane.

"What?"

She grabbed my wrists.

"Elena, I found the cure."

"What? Where? How?"

I was completely in awe. We had worked so hard all this time to try and find the antidote, only to have Caroline find it out of nowhere.

"How?" I asked again.

She began explaining it breathlessly.

"I was just wandering around, trying to, you know, find people to capture, and I saw a guy, and he was totally mechanical-like, right? So I started to approach him, and then I saw the demon, and he was right there, Elena, so I backed away, and the afflicted guy got closer to the demon, and sort of got caught in the demon and got a bit of the demon's smoke or whatever it's made of in his mouth. And he fell on the ground and the demon flew away, and I went up to him and we was perfectly fine, he just couldn't remember anything."

I tried to piece together Caroline's eccentric telling of the tale in my mind.

"So... you're saying that the antidote for the demon is the demon itself?"

Caroline nodded furiously, and I finally started to realize how great this was.

A huge smile began spreading across my face.

"That means..."

Caroline caught onto what I was thinking and pulled me into her arms.

"Elena, we can save Katherine."