Chapter 17: Epilogue

3 Weeks Later
Katherine's POV
She was telling it again, the story of how she saved my life from the "evil that had befallen Mystic Falls". (Her words, not mine.)

I must have heard the story at least a thousand times now, but I didn't mind hearing it over and over again, because every time she told it, her eyes lit up and she started talking excitedly, and it made me happy to see her like this.

It made me happy to see us like this. Alone, in Elena's house, but not hiding from anyone. We went out, and held hands. (We got some strange looks, because then again, we look exactly the same.)

We went on dates at fancy restaurants, giggled at the back of movie theaters, and made out in front of Elena's friends, with them just laughing and telling us to get a room. (I suppose it was weird for Damon and Stefan, but they got over it quickly.)

This was the first time I had felt like this hundreds of years. This was the first time I had truly felt deeply, wholly in love.

And I wasted no time to ever tell Elena that. She heard it every day from me, how much I loved her, and how much I wished I had told her that earlier.

And she always responded with: "I know, I love you so much too."

Today was no different. As she told the story of saving my life in great detail, with that light in her eyes I loved so much, I simply stared at her, in awe of her beauty, and pondering what would have happened if I never fallen in love with her.

She stopped her story abruptly.

"What's up?"

"Huh?"

She laughed.

"What's wrong, you're just staring at me."

I shrugged.

"I love you."

She smiled.

"I love you, too."

She leaned in for a kiss and I grabbed her waist, pulling her closer as her lips touched mine.

"Can I take you somewhere?" I asked between kisses.

She stopped and looked at me, puzzled.

"Sure. Where?"

"It's a surprise."

With that, I whisked her off, running past houses and then forest, arriving at the opening to a hole in the ground.

She looked down.

"And this is..."

"The place we first fell in love? The freaking cave we were trapped in because of idiot witches?" I responded, gesturing wildly at the entrance to the cave.

"Of course, how could I forget." Elena said, pressing her lips to mine.

"How romantic."

I pulled away from her. She frowned as I did, but I had to say this.

"Elena."

"Katherine."

"Look, I have something to say to you, and I've never done this before, so it's probably going to come out all wrong, so don't judge me because of it-"

"Katherine."

She interrupted me, grabbing my hands and gripping them tightly.

"It's okay, say what you need to say. Why would I judge you on that?"

I took a deep breath and continued.

"When I first met you, I hated you. Simple as that. But when we got to know each other here, and beyond that, I got to know to the beautiful, compassionate, intelligent, amazing girl I know as Elena Gilbert today. And I've fallen in love with that Elena Gilbert. I love the way you laugh, and obsessive you are over certain things, I love how you are so protective over your friends and family, and I love how you make me a better person. And I know you say that you don't make me a better person, that it's just the real me, but it's the truth. I want to be a good person when I'm around you because you are such a good person and I want us to be good people together. For the rest of our lives."

With that last sentence, I dropped to one knee and pulled the ring box out of my back pocket, where I had been stashing it.

I opened it to reveal the diamond I had picked out specially for Elena, because it has reminded me of her beauty.

Elena was crying, but she was also smiling ridiculously wide, so I took that as a good sign.

"Elena Gilbert, will you marry me?"

It only took one word to secure our future together and one word to make the happiest girl alive.

"Yes."

And that's it, folks! That is the end of Look At Me! I truly hope it's a better ending than the Don't Be Shy ending! And if you're interested in reading more of my work, I have TWO new books coming out, probably today. One is a Klaus Mikaelson fic, the other is a Delena one, you can follow me if you want to be updated on when those come out. Thank you for coming along with me on my journey of writing these two fics, I thoroughly enjoyed writing them, as much I hope, as you enjoyed reading them!