Chapter 9

Elena's POV
It seemed like we tried to prepare for ages.

No one knew what to do in a situation like this, not even Katherine, who had experienced this before.

Not that Katherine was much of a help.

After telling her story, she couldn't help us do anything. She seemed to just be having flashbacks to the time when she had witnessed the demon. And it was clearly not a good thing for her to be focusing on.

The one thing she did help us on was letting us know that there was no way to prepare.

No way to stop the demon.

No way to cure the afflicted.

No way to keep anyone safe.

We scoured over old journals and books for hours: in the journals trying to find a clue on the demon's weakness, in books trying to find any mention of this demon at all.

Nothing.

We all went home discouraged, and with the terrible thought in our heads that we only had one day before everything collapsed.

Katherine and I walked back to my place with heavy hearts.

She hadn't spoken for several hours.

We walked inside the house and I led her to the kitchen.

"Do you want anything? Damon and Stefan stocked the fridge with blood. And I have tea and hot chocolate... Whatever you want." I said to her, opening up the fridge.

She shrugged slightly.

"It's okay."

Her voice was small.

I abandoned my search through the fridge and instead made my way over to Katherine. I sat with her at the table and took her hand in mine.

"I'm sorry you had to tell them all that. I know that couldn't have been easy for you."

"I just..."

She paused for a second, looking down at the table.

"Elena, I don't want to relive that again. It was absolute hell. I'm not even sure how I survived. And I doubt that I'll survive this time around."

"Don't say that."

I took her chin lightly in my hands and turned her face towards me.

"We are going to get through this. We'll survive. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." she said, and pulled her hand out of my grasp.

"I'm going to bed."

With that, she stood up and walked away, leaving me alone in the kitchen.

I sighed and got up, taking a tea bag out of the cupboard and putting hot water in a kettle, letting it boil.

As I drank the tea, I didn't think, just let myself believe, even for a minute, that this wasn't happening, that we weren't all about to be flung into chaos.

When the tea was done, I walked upstairs slowly, entering my room, where Katherine was turned on her side. She didn't move when I entered the room, so I assumed she was asleep.

I got in the bed and placed the covers over me, sliding over to the side of the bed where Katherine lay.

I placed an arm around her and held her close.

For a few seconds, we lay there like that, me listening to the steady sound of her breathing.

And then her hand covered mine, holding it tightly.

"I love you." I whispered in her ear.

She shifted slightly so she was closer to me, but she didn't say a word.

Katherine's POV
I couldn't say it.

I still didn't know how.

Elena's POV
I slept restlessly, tossing and turning.

It was the same for Katherine. I would wake up to see her thrashing in bed, looking absolutely terrified.

I would have to wake her up and tell her it was going to be alright, but it was no use.

She was too scared of what was to come.

If it wasn't for Katherine being here, I probably wouldn't have been as scared for the demon's arrival.

But seeing her, usually so brave and uncaring, so scared, terrified me.

This was obviously not something to be messing with.

Morning came and Katherine was finally sleeping peacefully.

I hated to wake her, but we only had one day left to see what would happen when this thing came.

"Katherine?" I shook her lightly.

"Katherine?"

She groaned and slapped my hand away, rolling onto her side.

"Wake up. We need to go fight demons and we need your help." I said, moving her hair out of her face.

She opened her eyes and didn't move, only looked at me.

I lay down on my side so I was face to face with her.

"Remember the promise I made you yesterday?"

She nodded.

"Well, I always keep my promises. We will survive this."

I sat up again and kissed her.

"It's going to be okay."

Katherine got up, and smiled at me.

"I don't know if we're going to survive this. All I know is that if I have to do this again, I would want to do this with you."

"I'm glad I can do this with you." I said, walking over to her.

"You make me stronger, Katherine. That's part of the reason why I love you so much."

Now we were nearly touching. She took my face in her hands and kissed me gently.

I kissed back, leaning into it. Our kisses became more furious and needy and we fell onto the bed, Katherine on top of me.

My hands reached up and tugged on her hair. She smiled against my lips and began kissing me even more feverishly.

My breathing was becoming labored and I moved my hands down Katherine's back, clutching at her shirt.

I started to pull the shirt up her back and she hissed in approval, but then pulled herself from the kiss.

"What?" I said breathlessly.

"Don't we have somewhere to be?"

"Right."

She tumbled off of me so we were laying next to each other, both breathing heavily.

"You're such a buzzkill when there's demon coming." I told her playfully.

"I promise you, if we make it through this, we can do this like there's no tomorrow." Katherine responded.

I laughed.

"I love you."

Katherine's POV
I love you too, Elena.

I just can't tell you, and I don't know why.

So sorry, just a filler chapter, but I felt like there weren't enough Katherine/Elena scenes yet with them just being them. I just wanted to make it known that though Katherine had obviously changed quite a bit since the last book, being with Elena can still make her Katherine again.