Chapter Eighteen

I will open my mouth and speak in parables; I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.

Psalm 78:2

Tamar smelled the salty air before she realised they were heading for the sea. Trembling but stifling sobs her head lifted from Chase’s chest and a vast expanse of glittering ocean greeted her. Without artificial lights it was the moons stolen brightness that illuminated the world in distorted shadows. The girl and the creature still skimmed the tree tops, the dark peaks reaching for the sky. As the forest finally ended Tamar looked down only to find they had flown right over the cliff edge. For a moment she saw sand and then only the murkiest waters. She jumped in Chase’s arms, shocked at their height and he hushed her gently. A sea breeze aided his flight and cooled her face.  She inhaled the salty air and steadied herself. Looking up at Chase she only saw calm as he turned to fly parallel to the land. His tear’s had stopped. She had no idea where they were headed but she trusted him. As much as she wanted to rush back and throw herself at the mercy of the Fallens for the sake of her family she also, oh so humanly, wanted to run away and hide.

Chase defined surety with every beat of his wings. His sight was set ahead and fear did not seem to envelope him like it did for the helpless girl in his arms. Looking past him, Tamar saw the stars. How beautiful they were, those radiant, shining stars. The world had not ended, Tamar assured herself, and all could not yet be lost. It was just the middle of the night when the moon seemed to have dominion of the light, but the stars still stretched across the expanse of the sky.

After a time, Tamar realised she had dozed, exhaustion pulling her eyelids down. Guilt at this roused her from her sluggishness, she could guarantee her nearest and dearest were very much awake, but Elior... would never... she couldn’t bring herself to even consider it.  They had begun to descend and Tamar felt her ears pop and the rushing waves gave a roar with renewed power. The water crashed against the cliff tops and Tamar couldn’t see any landing spots among the mighty rocks that the ocean battered again and again. Suddenly Chase banked right and brought his wings in tight as he swooped into a large cleft half way up the cliff. He landed with a light run, Tamar still tight in his arms. As they came to a halt he turned back to the opening and let her down. It was like a small cave where a large bird’s nest would be built to protect it from predators. Tamar wobbled forward on unsteady legs and glanced over the precipice. They were about half way between the cliff top and the surface of the waves.

The sea stretched out in great magnitude before them and the stars reflected on its distant face. She shivered violently and circled back to find Chase sitting near her at the opening of the cave. Choosing a rock opposite him Tamar sat with her back against the wall. She cradled herself with arms wrapped tight around her chest. Chase quietly removed his cloak, crossed the short distance between them, draped it around her shoulders and returned.

 “Thank you.” She said as sincerely as she could. Thank you for everything, she thought, but what now? Chase simply nodded and then made his ‘hear me’ gesture to her.

“Can’t we just play charades?” she asked, biting back bitterness. Did anything he had to say matter now? He shook his head sternly and frowned at her, repeating the gesture.

“Go ahead.”

“How I see but I have two,

When the lost can’t be - and searching’s through,

Three letters you’ll say as often as and,

The Brave and Wise but slips like sand.”

“We’ve done most of this already right?” Tamar asked without encouragement. Chase nodded vigorously trying to get her to concentrate.