Chapter Twelve

The Good, the Bad, & the Dirty

"It was terrifying," I say as I place a hand over the bite. "It was so vivid in my mind that it even made me cry." I wince as my fingertips touch the torn skin. "But, it still makes me wonder if that was a memory or just a part of my stupid imagination." I sigh as I look at the being in front of me. "What do you think?"

The small being looked up at me. It's green eyes glimmering in the sunlight. Then, after a long stretch, it answered. "Meow."

I smile as I pet the stray black cat that had somehow made its way onto my windowsill behind one of it's torn ears. It tilts it's head into my hand as it purrs. "You're not a very good listener. Did you know that?" I say as I try to look for a name tag.

The cat lifted it's tiny chin as I search for a tag on the red collar that hung loosely around its neck. A small, paw-shaped tag jingled down and I grab it. The white tag was stained with a mysterious red liquid that I hoped was paint.

Bonnie Clyde.

I raise a brow at the name. "Strange name." I, then, sigh. "But, it can't be any worse than Z huh?"

The cat stays with me for a while before being scared away by the sound of a vehicle. I look down, only to frown. I close the window as the Zombie Expert's minivan pulled into the driveway.

"Why can't he just let me rest in peace?" I muttered under my breath.

҂

"Breathe out." Zombie Expert said with a sigh. I follow his instructions and Dr. Morris pulls away as he trades his stethoscope for a long needle. Without any consent, Zombie Expert grabbed my arm and pierced my pale skin. I wince as the black liquid drained from my body. "So," he began, "have you been having any problems since our last meeting?"

I shake my head. "Nope."

"No new discoveries?"

"No." I hiss as he pulls the needle out of my skin. He could have at least given me a warning.

"Then," he says as he trades the needle for the black notebook and a pen, "how is school? You just finished your second week, right?"

I nod. "It's fine, I guess." I look over to the cracked kitchen door, knowing who was on the other side. 

The Zombie Expert smiled as he scribbled on his notebook. "I heard that you have made a new friend." He says, drawing my attention to him. "Wynn Parker, was it?"

I restrain myself from rolling my eyes. Was that what she was? "Yeah," I say.

The doctor smiled. "Must be nice having a new friend. Have you two been hanging out much outside of school?"

I think back to the Black Rabbit. Ever since then, Wynn has made it her priority to be my bodyguard on the way home from school. Following me everywhere as I try desperately to ignore her presence. "Yeah," I say, anger clear in my voice.

Dr. Morris decided to ignore it. "What about everyone else? Have they been treating you kindly?"

The memory of my invaded locker comes to mind along with Terrance's rudeness. Shaking the memories from my mind, I sigh. "Yes. Everything is fine at school."

"Alright," he says as he put the notebook back into his bag. He closes it. I raise my brow, surprised that he didn't ask me any more personal questions. "Well, I am sorry for cutting our session short, Zoey. However, I have somewhere that I need to be. So, if you will excuse me."

I watch as the Zombie Expert grabs his things and turn away from me. I take note of his fast speed as he takes off for the door. I look over at the slightly opened kitchen door and notice that Mom hadn't interfered once.

I hear the front door shut as the doctor walks out. Curious, I stand and walk to the kitchen door. I open it, looking around the kitchen. I narrow my brows. "Mom?" I call in the empty room.

Frowning, I turn, jumping as Mom steps into the kitchen. Her shoes clicking on the tiles as she walked. I raise a brow as she simply walks by. She was quiet as she went to the fridge.

"Mom?" I call, she didn't look at me. "Mom?" I say louder. She was silent. "Mom!"

Mom raised her light blue eyes at me, then smiled brightly. "Sorry, Zoey," she yelled, her hands reached to her ears and she pulled an earbud from her ear. Well, that explains it. "Did you say something?"

I shake my head. "I just wanted to tell you that the Zom- Dr. Morris left." Mom looked at me blankly for a moment before smiling.

"Oh. I didn't notice he even came by." I narrow my eyes at her. She sounded...off.

"Yeah, I let him in since we had our session today." Mom nodded slightly, her eyes looking down at the tiles. "Mom," I say, "is something wrong?"

Mom turned to the fridge and looked at the supply of food. "No," she sighed as she pulled out a bottle of water. "I just need to deal with a little miscommunication, that's all. But, from now on, I don't want anyone coming into this house without my knowledge of it." She turned to me with a bright smile. "Okay?"

I nod as she takes a sip of water. "Okay," I say.

"Good, now, I am going to watch some TV. You are welcome to join me," she said, happily as she walked by me again. I watch as she puts the earbud back into her ear before walking out the door.

[Authors Note]

Done with Twelve. Sorry that I had to cut it short this time, you guys. But, I am hoping that the next chapter will be better as we take a closer look at the Dead Zones.

But first, tell me what you think is wrong with mom. Poor thing seems so down.

Or tell me that you are awesome because you are. Remember that this came from me before Bonnie Clyde takes my spotlight.

Flumpy RULES Bonnie DROOLS