Chapter Ten

Down the Rabbit Hole

When I was alive, I was always thinking of the future. Of, one day,  leaving this small town, going to college, maybe even finding someone - in that order. I always thought of growing up into someone that could be admired. I hoped to be someone that my Mom would be proud of. I dreamed of having a family of my own and being happy. I was dreaming of living.

It's strange how much has changed. Now, all I can think about is death.

I am always thinking about how I am dead and how others soon will be too... But, most of all, now I think of the other Zombies in the world. The ones that are roaming the earth waiting for their next meal to come along. The ones that had families and friends who loved them. The ones who weren't as lucky as I was. The ones who are alone and have no one but the other monsters that stand beside them, fighting them for food.

I think about how much I and the other zombies in the world have in common. Then I wonder how I am the only one who kept her humanity when they had the same cruel fate as I did.

҂

I had snuck out my window that night. Which, wasn't such a good idea considering that I had never done it before. However, it was either a hundred questions with Mom as she readied herself for another date for the Zombie Expert or the window.

I wish I had chosen the maze of questions with Mom. If I did, then I'd probably wouldn't have to answer to Wynn...

"Did you get into a fight?" The curious wide-eyed girl asked.

"No," I answer for the tenth time. Wynn leans in to get a closer look at the new bruising, scar on my left temple. Despite my efforts to hide it with my hair, Wynn noticed it right away and soon took a very high interest in the story behind how I received it.

"Don't get too close to her Wynn." an angered voice behind me said. I turn back to see Wynn's brother Terrance standing a good five feet behind me. He wasn't happy with me joining them, that was extremely obvious. In fact, I don't think he was very keen on the idea of me being alive. However, I don't think too many people are.

Wynn turns around to look at her brother, skipping backward as she tried desperately to keep up with me. She glared at Terrance. "Ease up, T. We're going out to have fun. We don't need a downer hanging over our shoulder, that's what we brought Richie for."

I look up at Richard as Wynn continues to skip backward and make silly faces at her brother. The tall, bulky man laughed at her small joke. "I don't know about you three, but I'm going to have a drink. You guys can do what you want."

Wynn yells in delight, spinning on her heel until she was walking forward again. "That means poker and beer, for me. Right, Richie?"

"Sure, why not?" he smiled.

"You're not drinking anything but water," Terrance said firmly. Wynn turns and they start to argue.

Ignoring their back and forth, I look up at Richard. "Do you usually let them do what they want?" I asked him curiously.

Richard raised his brows at the sound of my voice as though he had forgotten that I was even there. He smiled as he shook his head. "Not always, but when you think about how things are now then there isn't really anything you can do."

I took note of how he referred to the apocalypse. By the sound of his voice, it was as though there was no more hope. As if the way things are now is just how it is and it was never going to change.

"It could be worse you know."

I look up at Richard, surprised. "What?" I ask. He looked down at me, pointing to his left temple.

"Your wound." He says. "Could have been worse."

I nod, laughing slightly at myself really. "Yeah, I guess," I say looking away from him.

I turn to my left and see a group of people standing across the street. Dressed in complete black under a slightly broken street lamp, stood four young people. One of them sat on the ground, holding a gun. Another stood, leaning against the light pole looking up as he blew smoke up into the air as he swung a bat nonchalantly.

But those two weren't the one that caught my attention. Instead, I was looking at the guy who was standing a few feet away from the crowd. He, too, had a weapon - a pistol, I think. He wasn't just holding it like the others held theirs. He was pointing it at the strangers who walked by, the others who sat near him, at me.

"Don't look at them." I hear Richard say as he pulls me to where I was on his other side.

"Why not?" I ask as he pulls his hand away from my wrist. "They're not really going to shoot someone," I say with bits of laughter in my voice. But, when Richard didn't smile or laugh at me, I stop. "Are they?"

"They're not going to shoot us," Richard says. "Not if we keep walking." Richard then places his hand on my back and pushes me forward slightly.

"The club is just around that corner," Wynn says cheerfully, as though she didn't see those people across the street. Or, maybe, she was just used to them. Richard grabs my shoulder, leading me around the corner. Then, like clockwork, there was a gunshot, a scream, followed by more shootings. I turn my head to see what was happening.

But as the group gets up to leave the light post and we leave the street, I lose sight of them. Only to hear more screaming and gunshots. I turn to Wynn and Terrance. They kept walking, pretending they didn't even hear the terrifying racket. I look up at Richard. His face was hard, as though he was trying to ignore it.

They weren't turning, trying to see what was going on. They weren't rushing to call the police. They just kept walking, and so did I.

Richard's comment then came to mind. It could always be worse.

AUTHOR'S NOTE▪

End of chapter ten! (•.•)/

This was kind of short to me. But, I have been trying to make them longer. So, tell me your feelings on that subject.

I hope that everyone enjoyed this chapter and I will update again ASAP.

Please comment & vote.

Sincerely, Flumpy