Chapter Five

Bad Blood

I was never fully healthy as a human. There was always something wrong with me. From infections to the full on flu. To me, medicine was my best friend.

Mom never took me to the hospital unless my fever was over a hundred degrees, which happened often. So, a very tiny part of my being was actually happy to be dead.

I had thought that I would be finished with the infections and deadly cases of flu. I thought that I would actually be able to feel at least a little bit healthy (as healthy as a Zombie can get) for the first time in my life.

However, like usual, I am wrong...

҂

I jump a little as the Zombie Expert's stethoscope presses over my dead heart. "Breathe in," he instructs. I take in a big breath of air. "Breathe out..." I breathe out. Honestly, I had no idea why I was doing this.

I'm dead. How was the Zombie Expert listening to my heart not beating going to help him figure out why my blood was black?

"Well, everything seems normal there, Zoe," he says as he takes the buds out of his ears. "You're heart is still cold and dead." Was that supposed to make me feel better?

"So, I'm okay?" I ask him. The Zombie Expert turns to me with a smile.

"You are perfectly okay." He assures me. "I am sure that the only reason that you regurgitated a black liquid was that of a reflex. You must remember that your body is still getting used to the...new conditions that it is going through."

I hated how he hesitated. "So you are saying that my black blood is perfectly normal?"

"Yes." He answered with a positive tone. How was this positive?

The Zombie Expert then went over to the sink to rinse his hands before heading toward the coffee pot. As odd as it may sound, the smell of coffee didn't make me want to vomit.

"You see, Zoey, you're not breathing which means that you are not getting any oxygen in your blood." The Zombie Expert pauses so he can take a sip of his coffee. "Which in some cases can lead to oddly colored blood."

I open my mouth to ask more questions before the Zombie Expert stops me. "Zoey," he said calmly, "I understand that you are not used to these new conditions mentally, however, you need to attempt to get used to this new idea otherwise your body never will."

"And how do you suggest I do that? I mean there is no Zombie Therapy Group around here." I say a little bit angered by the Zombie Expert's tone. He was speaking to me as though I was a toddler, which didn't make me feel or understand this any better.

"True. Although, I was not suggesting therapy." He takes another sip of coffee. "I was suggesting something more convenient."

I raise a curious brow in his direction. "I was suggesting that you try to feel more self-confident about what you are. Look at your condition as a battle scar. Think of yourself as a survivor because that is what you are. Zoey, you are the first of the sick who has been able to hold onto their humanity. You should feel very prideful knowing this."

Pride? I am supposed to feel confident and prideful that I am dead? That's funny.

"Okay," I answer. "I'll try that." I really want to leave. If I stay any longer with this man then I might kill him. "Thanks, Zomb- I mean, Doctor Morris."

I jump down from the hospital bed with ease as the Zombie Expert laughs a little. "Anytime, Zoey." He smiles. I start to grab my belongings when I notice messages on my phone.

Mom was going to kill me...again...

"Is something the matter Zoey?" The Zombie Expert asks.

"Yes. I mean, no, not really." I answer. How am I going to explain that I was sent to the hospital?

"Is it your mother?" The Zombie Expert asks. I look at him with wide eyes. He only laughed. "You don't really have a good poker face." Of course, I don't.

"She is wondering where I am and why I haven't answered any of her calls." I sigh.

The Zombie Expert walks over toward me and pats me gently on the back. "There, there." I look at him. I could tell that this was painfully awkward...for the both of us.

Quickly placing his hands into his pockets, the Zombie Expert smiles. "Well, how about I just explain to her what happened? I am sure that she would feel better if it came from a doctor."

That would fix my problem... I thought. However...

"But our next check-up is not until Saturday." He nods. "It's Thursday," I state. He starts to laugh.

"I know. However, your mother and I are going to have dinner this afternoon."

"Excuse me?" Okay, I admit, I could have sounded a little bit nicer. However, I didn't want to.

"Yes, we are going out to celebrate your progress. She did tell you, didn't she? We've been planning for at least two weeks now." I cross my arms. Although I knew this was impossible, I could feel my black blood start to boil.

"No. She didn't speak a word of it."

The Zombie Expert frowns. "That's odd. I was sure that she would have told you."

"Yeah, well, she didn't," I say angrily as I grab the rest of my belongings and head toward the door.

"Well, maybe you can join us. It to celebrate your progress so far." He says proudly. I wanted to kill him.

I open the door of his office as I turn to look him in the eyes. I smile sweetly, and quietly think 'bite me' before I answer: "I think I will pass." I then slam the door and head toward the exit.

I was furious. How could my mom not tell me that she had a date with the Zombie Expert? Did she feel that she needed to keep it a secret from me?

This was really infuriating. I was so furious that I actually felt a little....sad.

҂Zomɞıє҂

× ѧuţһoя's ňoţє ×

Finally finished! I know this did not have much gore or zombie features in it. But I do like to add some drama here and there. Next chapter will be way more exciting. Promise!

Vote (if you like) & Comment (because you are awesome)

Thanks for all of the support and patience! :)