Chapter Eight

Mother & Zombie

I have never been a fan of my Mom's boyfriends and, apparently, neither was she. For years, many men have walked in and right out of my Mom's life. But, she didn't really care because, to her, they were just one night stands.

I never minded seeing her occasional one nighter. In fact, some of them actually made breakfast for Mom and I. Although the gesture was kind and sweet, by noon they were gone and to never be seen again.

I have never asked Mom why she let men easily come in and out of our home. I have never asked her why she never came home on Friday nights. I never asked her who my dad is.

Because I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have the answers to any of those questions.

҂

I walk downstairs in my pajamas, which was just an old T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants. I rub my sore neck as I take one step at a time. I feel my fingers come in contact with the bite mark causing me to shudder.

I don't believe that I will ever get used to that.

When I reach the bottom step, I heard my Mom in the kitchen. Her laughter echoed through the house. Curious, I head into the living room, stopping at the door. There, I see my Mom sitting on the couch, coffee in one hand, the phone in the other. I wondered who could be on the other end. It could have been anyone. A friend, a co-worker, or even Grandma, who checked in every month from Kansas.

"You are too funny, Dr, Morris!" Mom laughed. I felt my body stiffen.

Or even a certain doctor who didn't know how to lay off. 

I walk into the room, hoping that my Mom would end her conversation with the Zombie Expert. Who would have guessed that I could hate a man who I've only known for a few months so much? Mom smiled at me. 

"Well, Zoey's up so I'm going to let you go now." Pause. "Yes, I appreciate the dinner. I had fun." Pause. "Really?" Girly laughter. "You are certainly too much doctor! You really should have become a comedian." Pause. "That sounds great!" Pause. "I'll see you there then." Pause. "Okay, then. Bye, bye."

Mom clicks the red button on the phone. She smiles and giggles happily. "So, I'm guessing that your date with the Zombie Expert went well?" I say with a false smile. But even then, I still couldn't hide the anger in my voice.

Mom looks at me. Was she blushing? "It wasn't a date." She said. "It was a thank you dinner. Dr. Morris has done a lot for us these past few months and I just wanted to thank him."

I reach over and grab the TV remote. "Then buy him a card," I mutter angrily. Why was I so angry? Mom was happy. So why wasn't I?

"Zoey," she said softly, "it was just dinner, nothing more." I look at her.

"Did he pay?" I asked. Mom raised her eyebrows.

"Well, yes, but-"

"Are you meeting him again?"

"Yeah, he just invited me to lunch." I sigh. Truly, my Mom can really be clueless sometimes. "Zoey, what does this have to do with anything?"

"Oh, nothing," I say. "I hope you have fun on your second date with the Zombie Expert that's all."

"Second date?" Mom repeated. "What do you mean by the second date?"

I stand up. I couldn't stand hearing any more of this. I was truly angry. Both my Mom's ignorance and Dr. Morris's plans were severely getting on my nerves. I just had to get out of here. "Nothing, Mom," I say, my anger was very noticeable.

She watches as I walk past her. "Zoey, wait a minute." I stop at the doorway. "I don't know what all of this is about but I assure you that Dr. Morris and I aren't dating."

I roll my eyes and turn back around to face her. "Tell him that," I say. "Now, excuse me, but I have to get ready." I turn on my heel and head toward the steps.

Mom stands. "Get ready for what?"

"School!"

҂ Zօʍɮɨɛ ҂

+ aʊtɦօʀ's ռօtɛ +

Updated! "ψ(`∇')ψ

Zoey is finally going to the worst place of every kid's dreams - High School! Tell me what you think about her sudden decision. Until next time!

Please Vote (if you liked this chapter) & Comment (pretty please?)

+ Sharing is Caring +