A Message From Light

Tonight, I got a message from the Messenger. You may ask, "Who is the Messenger?"

The Messenger. She sends out and watches angels. If one of the angels she has sent down to Earth does something against the rules, she will message them. The Rules of the Angels. Rules like protection from all angels should be done without anyone knowing their an angel and angels shouldn't talk about their past.

• • • • •

It was 6:30 pm...
"So, Alex, how was school?" My foster dad, Sam, asks while we eat dinner at the dinner table.
Sam got home from work around 5:45 pm. He works as a TSA at the airport in Atlanta. He doesn't love his job but it helps put food on our table and pay some bills.
My foster mother, Loretta, works at the bank down the street from the high school and she teaches at a nearby pre-school. Brent went their for free when he was much younger and Rachel went their for free a couple of years ago.

"Good," I say, not looking at him. I look down at my paper plate. A big slice of greasy pepperoni pizza sits on top of it. Grease soaking the paper and slowly making it's way to the wooden table. I didn't realize after school that once Loretta got off work at the bank, she stopped by Pizza Hut across the street. I hate Pizza Hut. Even though I believed their pizza was delicious because of the Mutant Ninja Turtles when I started living here, I couldn't stand how much grease sat on top of the slices of pizza. My biological parents were big healthy eaters.

"Good? Good as in the normal good or good as in you're-tryin'-to-keep-secrets-from-me good," Sam said, raising an eyebrow at me. He's figured out if I say my day's good, the day wasn't actually good. Foster parents.
Then, that's when I got the message. My phone buzzed beside me.

"May I be excused, Loretta?" I ask her. She nods her head as I scoot in my chair and go to my room.

• • • • •

I shut my door and see this on my phone.

I broke a rule? A Rule of the Angels? I don't recall breaking one

I broke a rule? A Rule of the Angels? I don't recall breaking one. I really don't. I'm one of the least trouble-making angels on Earth. I go into the dining room with my phone in hand.

"I'm gonna go to a friend's house tonight, guys. Is that okay with y'all?" I ask, praying they will fall in the trap of my lie. It takes Sam time to think about the question before he answers.

"Sure. Just don't stay out too late." I smile at his answer.

"Bye. See ya later." I say before Brent or Rachel could object to what was happening. I run out the door and start heading to the airport.

• • • • •

I go through TSA and everything without anyone questioning why I don't have, at the very least, a bag of some sort with me.