5-Year-Olds Home Alone

After sitting in my car for what-felt-like a long time, I put the key in the ignition. The warmth of the air in my car, finally, hits me hard since it has been sitting out in the sun all day. So, I turn on the air conditioning, hoping it will cool down my car so I can go home. Well, not my actual home, that's in Chicago, but, my place I'm staying at for awhile.

Once my car cools down, it's 3:55 p.m. I back out, slowly, afraid of hitting something. I don't and drive to the house.

• • • • •

I arrive around 4:15 p.m. Alice got off the bus at 3:05 p.m. so, once I pulled into the driveway, she came running out of the house to greet me. Her medium-length brown waves flow into the wind. Her dazzling light brown eyes staring at me with glee. I parked the car, took the key out of the ignition, and got out of the car to pick her up when she came running to me in full speed.

"Alice, your getting so heavy to carry!" I say, over-dramatically. She smiles and giggles a little bit.

"How was your first day of school," Alice asks me.

I think for a while before I say, "It was okay. How was yours?"

Without taking time to think, Alice says, "It was fantastic. We learned that word today. And guess who my teacher is? Just guess. Her name is Mrs. Adams. She's really nice and I think Mommy and you would like her, too." I smile at her. At least she had a normal day at school today.

• • • • •

"Hey, where's Mommy, by the way, Alice?" I ask, getting a bit worried. I start walking into the house.

"She's still at work." Alice replies. No, no, no! Mom was suppose to get off around 2:30, I think to myself. I put Alice down on the ground when I get into the house and kneel down to her so we are looking at each other in the eyes.

"Alice, why is Mommy still at work? Did she call?" I ask her, calmly.

"She called. I couldn't answer it because I can't reach it," she says. Thank god for voicemail, I think to myself. I quickly walk over to the home phone and see there are two voicemails.

• • • • •

"There are two new messages. The first message came from (312) 292-5736 who called at 3:11 p.m."

Then, my mother's voice cuts in after a loud beep and says, "Alice, are you home? I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm sorry I didn't pick you up from the bus stop. I got a text from your bus driver saying that one of the neighborhood parents helped you into the house. But, Jordan's suppose to be home by 4. You still got 40 more minutes. I need you to tidy up the house, okay? And, Alice, I love you so much sweetheart. Don't panic. Stay calm. Don't answer the door. Don't mess up the house. I'll call back around 3:30. Bye!"

Then the robot voice says, "The second message came from (312) 292-5736 who called at 3:36 p.m."

It beeps again and my mother says, "Okay, Alice, Jordan just got out of school. It'll take her a while to get home so be patient. I'm going to have the neighbors check in on you. I love you! Bye, Alice!"

"No new messages," the robot's voice says. When is she coming home, I think to myself, she was suppose to be home before Alice got off the bus. Is she working late? Why would her job make her stay late on her first day?