Meeting Alex

"Ready for your first day of school, Jordan?!" My mother asks, excitedly, as she opens the door to my room that morning.

"No. I want to go back to the city," I say, stuffing my face into one of my pillows. She sighs and rolls her eyes at me.

"Jordan, stop with the whole I-wanna-go-back thing. We're here in Atlanta and we're gonna stay here in Atlanta unless your dad takes custody over you," She pauses, "Ya know what? I'm done talkin' to ya 'bout this. I'm done." As she finishes, she shuts my bedroom door. I wish my dad could take custody over me and she knows it.

• • • • •

Once I put on some natural make-up, a pair of dark blue jean shorts, a white and navy blue striped t-shirt, and a pair of tan Sperry's, I grab a banana, water bottle, two granola bars, and my brown leather backpack from the kitchen.

This summer has been great, but, now, we've got to go to school. A new school. Alice is starting Kindergarten today and I'm gonna be a Senior. Yay, high school! I've got 1 more year, then I'll go to college in Chicago and leave Alice and my mom here in Atlanta. It's what I really want and Dad won't mind and, maybe, he'll take custody over my sister and I.

I jumped into my new car, started the engine, and backed out of the driveway. I, then, switched my gear from reverse to park. I turned on my GPS and I put in the address to my new school. It was going to be a 20 minute drive so, I put my car in drive, turned on the radio, and headed to South Atlanta High School, my new school.

• • • • •

I park my car towards the back of the parking lot of the high school. Most of the kids seemed to just be hanging out in the parking lot before school rather than walking into the school building early. So, I grab my car keys, backpack, and snacks. I, then, get out of the car and lean on the trunk of my car.

I put the snacks in my backpack, lay my backpack on the ground next to me, and put the car keys in the pocket of my jean shorts. I get out my phone from my backpack.

Dad texted me. "Jordan, have a great day at school today. Love ya." He's so sweet! "Love ya, too ❤️" I text him back.

Then, I look up, all of the sudden, and see a bunch of kids my age walking towards me. Oh great! I don't want to talk to these people, I think to myself, I don't want to talk to anyone. There's 5 kids in this group. 3 girls and 2 boys.

The leader of the pack, it looks like, is a short, Hispanic girl who has long straight black hair and brown eyes. She wears a short, flowy, baby blue dress with a dark-washed jean jacket.

Her boyfriend, who holds her right hand, is super tall but, not really buff. He has red hair with light green eyes. His smile captures me and I can tell he's a really nice guy. I can tell he doesn't dress up too much, too, because he wears a South Atlanta High School Boys Varsity Basketball shirt and a pair of black basketball shorts.

The other boy kind of catches my eye at first. He wears black glasses, a thin and tight blue t-shirt that shows off every muscle in his upper body, and a pair of ripped-up, light-colored jeans. His eyes are light blue and his ombré hair is a mixture of brown and blonde. His hair flips to his left side of his face, showing the brown underneath. He takes my breath away and doesn't even realize it as he waves at one of his buddies who seems to be listening to music on top of his red truck, clearly not paying attention to the good-looking boy.

The girl right next to this blonde seems to be distracted on her phone. Her hair and eyes look identical to the leader's boyfriend except her hair is long and curly. They seem to twins. Anyways, she wears a grey cardigan with a black tank underneath it and a black skirt.

The last girl has short curly blonde hair with hazel eyes. She wears jean shorts and a South Atlanta High School Girls Varsity Volleyball t-shirt.

These five people look so popular. Why would they want to talk to me?

"Hey, you must be the new girl," the leader says to me as she stops her group in front of my car and I.

"Yep, that's me," I say, smiling, putting away my phone in my backpack. Once I say something, everyone looks at me. Before, they just seemed to not notice me at all. But, now, I'm a little freaked out because all 10 eyes are looking at me. The handsome blonde stares at me awkwardly. Does he like me? I didn't believe in love at first sight before, but, wow, he's hot. I smile at him, first, and, then, smile at everyone else in the group. I see him blush in the corner of my eye. He's so cute when he blushes.

"My name's Cassandra, but you can call me Cass," the leader says, putting her hand out for me to shake it. I shake it, afraid of what would happen if I didn't.

"My boyfriend is Edward, the other guy is Alex," Cass says, as the two boys say hi to me. Alex. Hmm... I like that name. He's still blushing as he waves at me and says hi to me. He's so shy around me which never happens to me.

In Chicago, I had a boyfriend. Ryan. He was sweet and all but he never blushed or got shy when he was around me. He was trouble so I broke up with him when I left and I'm not regretting it, either.

Cass points to the girl on her phone that looks identical to Edward, "And that's Delaney, Eddy's twin, but, you can call her Laney."

Cass, then, tries to introduce the last girl, but the girl interrupts her and says, "And I'm Isabella but, you can call me Izzy."

Cass rolls her eyes and, then, asks me, "What's your name?"

"Jordan. My little sister, my mom, and I just moved here from Chicago," I say, as Cassandra's eyes light up.

"I use to live in Chicago, too... 'til I was five," Cass says, all excited until the last part.

"Cool," I say, sarcastically, under my breath. I realize Alex heard me once he started laughing under his breath. Everyone stares at him until he stops. He gets my humor. I like him already. Have I said that before?

"Anyways, we're all here to help you today, Jordan, and we are so glad you came to South Atlanta High School. Right, y'all?" Cass says. They all nod their heads in agreement.

"C'mon. School's 'bout to start," Cass says. I grab my backpack as they start walking off. I catch up to Alex and start talking to him.