The Accident

* Emma's POV *

I was getting the girls ready for bed when I started to worry. Liam was working on a Navy case at work, so Killian, naturally, had offered his expertise. It was a big case so I understood missing dinner, no big deal. But he never missed the chance to put his girls to bed, having told me once that it was one of the few times he felt he truly got to be a parent to them with them being so big now. And he especially never ran more than a few minutes late without calling me to let me know he was alright, not after the car crash senior year and everything.

I called him again after I got them to sleep, but it went straight to voicemail. I started to pace the house as I called him repeatedly but I just kept getting his voicemail. After a few more tries I gave up and left a message, going to clean up after dinner just as my phone rang. It wasn't a number I knew, but I answered anyway hoping it was Killian.

It wasn't Killian.

The moment I hung up I sent a text to Ruby and Mary Margaret, rushing to get things together while I waited for them to show up. They came in at the same time, David close behind with James asleep on his shoulder, all of them looking worried.

"What's going on?" Ruby was the first to speak. "All you said was it was an emergency and we needed to get here. Care to fill us in?"

"I would love to, but no one has filled me in," I said, trying and failing to keep my voice from cracking with tears. "All I know is something happened with Killian and Liam and they're both in the hospital. I was hoping you two could keep an eye on the girls while Ruby and I go."

"Of course," Mary Margaret said quickly, going to touch my arm but thinking better of it considering how jumpy I got in situations like this. "Go. Go ahead and we'll be here until you get home. Just call us and let us know what's going on."

"I will," I promised, checking on the girls again before grabbing my bag and heading for the door with Ruby on my heels. "Thank you."

Ruby bombarded me with questions on the way to the hospital, making me almost yell at her in frustration because I literally knew as much as she did. They told me the third floor so we headed up, me pushing down memories of when I thought he was dead. I was practically bouncing with anxiety, my mouth dry, my palms sweaty, and my heart racing.

"Excuse me?" I said at the nurses station, clearing the tremble from my voice the best I could. "I got a call about my husband and my brother in law?"

"Last name?" She asked, clearly exhausted as she clicked a few things on her computer.

"Jones," I told her as calmly as I could, trying not to snap at her. "Killian and Liam Jones. Killian's my husband."

"They're still being treated," she said, still distracted. "A doctor should be with you shortly."

"Look," I started, my knuckles turning white as I clenched my fists. "I get that you've probably had a long day and you don't want to be here, but neither do I. I have two little girls sleeping at home and I've spent far too much time thinking the love of my life was dead. I need to know what's going on now!"

"Emma?" I heard Rick, Liam's work partner, say behind me and turned around. "You alright? Where's Killian?"

"That's what I'd like to know," I answered, utterly frustrated. "I got a call saying him and Liam were in some sort of accident, so I come here and they won't tell me anything!"

"Oh god," he said a bit horrified. "I-I sent him out on a lead. I had no idea Killian was with him or I would have gone myself. I am so sorry, Emma."

"Emma Jones?" Another male voice said before I could question him and I turned to face a very tired looking doctor. "I'm Dr. Stevenson, I've been treating your loved ones."

"Are they okay?!" I asked quickly. "What happened? Where are they?"

"One thing at a time, ma'am," he said with a small smile. "I'm not sure what actually happened, I only know they're wounds. Liam is still in surgery with several gunshot wounds to his chest, they're doing they're best but we'll have to wait and see."

"Okay," I nodded, swallowing hard as tears welled in my eyes. "A-and what about my husband? Is he alright?"

"He's got a concussion and a graze wound, but," he paused when there was a crash down the hall followed by a nurse leaving a room angrily, smirking a bit and shaking his head. "He's awake and being quite difficult. He's been asking for 'his Swan', I take it that's you?"

"Yeah," I laughed a little through my tears. "Swan was my maiden name and he's been calling me that since we met when we were eighteen... can I see him?"

"Of course," he nodded. "Maybe you can calm him down so he'll let us treat him."

"That idiot," I sighed, looking back at Ruby and Rick. "Can you stay with her for a bit?"

He nodded, leading her over to the waiting area while the doctor took me down the hall. I could hear Killian yelling, making my heart relax quite a bit even if he was mostly just cursing. The first thing I saw was a nurse across from him, clearly trying to hold her ground.

"Mr. Jones," she said sternly, getting something in a syringe. "I'm sorry, but if you can't calm down I'm going to have to sedate you."

"I don't need to be bloody sedated!" He yelled. "I just need my damned phone to call my wife! She worries when I'm late and I should have been home hours ago! I'll fucking calm down when my Swan gets here!"

"Then it's time to calm down," I said in as gentle a voice as I could and his head snapped up, his face immediately softening. I went to sit on the edge of the bed facing him and he launched himself at me, his entire body relaxing as we held each other. "See, you stubborn idiot? Calm gets you a lot further."

"I don't care," he mumbled, turning his face into the crook of my neck as I ran my fingers through his hair. "I needed to talk to you and they were being bloody bastards."

"They're doing their job," I pointed out, closing my eyes and letting myself relax a bit more with his arms around me. "Though I'm sure if you called me I wouldn't have been having a heart attack the entire way here. I thought you went and died on me again."

"I'm sorry, love," he sighed as he relaxed completely and kissed my neck softly. A tear slipped down my cheek at that, part of me having thought I'd never feel it again. "Will you lay down with me?"

"It won't hurt you?" I asked and he shook his head so I agreed reluctantly. "Alright, if you say so."

I kicked off my slippers, having been in too much of a rush to put on real shoes or change out of my pajamas, curling up against his side carefully. He apparently didn't care about careful, yanking me half on top of him and wrapping both of his arms around me. He sighed almost in relief and squeezed me tighter, the room now empty besides the two of us.

"Are the girls okay?" He asked once he seemed to relax completely. "Its way past their bed time."

"They're at home in bed," I assured him, running my thumb along his chest absent mindedly. "And Liam's still in surgery if they didn't tell you."

"They did," he sighed and I felt him shake his head. "God, he's so stupid sometimes. We went to follow some lead, but once I realized how dangerous it was I said we should wait for more help. He, of course, just gave me the 'I've been doing this for fifteen years' face and continued. He confronted these guys and they pulled a gun, we took cover but then I guess one hit me in the head and everything went dark. I woke up here."

"He'll be fine," I tried to reassure him though I honestly had no idea. "You can't be the only survivor in the Jones family."

"I hope you're right, Swan," he said quietly, just rubbing my side gently. "I really hope you're right."

There's so much more I want to write, but I have to work and I wanted to get you guys something. I don't have time to edit either, so sorry for any mistakes. Enjoy! Later, loves!