The River

*Writer's POV*

Neal anxiously watched the little girl sleep, just wanting to get this over with. She woke up after two days, looking around for her parents before her eyes landed on the man they had been so afraid. He crouched down to her level and she whimpered with fear, scooting back into the corner and hugging her knees to her chest.

"Go away," she told him bravely, keeping her voice quiet. "I want my mommy and daddy."

"Oh, I'm sure you do," he smirked smugly. "But you're never going to see them again."

"Uh huh," she argued stubbornly as tears slipped down her face. "They looking for me. I go home."

"Why would they look for you?" he asked her coldly. "They're having a new baby, they don't need you."

"You lying," she insisted, trying to be strong like she'd seen her mother be days earlier. "Lying naughty. Mommy and daddy loves me."

"You really are your mother's daughter, aren't you," he scoffed at her, soon noticing the ring around her neck that she held onto for dear life and growing angry when he recognized it from so many years ago. She recognized the anger in his eyes, shrinking back further and holding her parents' promise ring protectively. "That's it, get up, we're taking care of you right now."

She didn't move so he grabbed her arm, yanking her up as she cried out. She fought him every step of the way, trying to pry his fingers off of her and pull away from him. She actually got away once and ran about a hundred yards before her significantly shorter legs failed her and he dragged her back. He all but threw her in the back of a white van and drove to the nearest bridge over the river.

"Alright, you little brat," he said angrily as he grabbed her back out. "Quit crying and shut up before I give you a real reason to cry like I did with your whore of a mother."

"No be mean to mommy!" she protested as he dragged her to he railing. "She hit you in your scary face again!"

"Oh, I'm fairly certain she'll be broken after this," he sneered, making her scream when he held her over the edge. "It was lovely meeting you, Amelia, but it's time to say goodbye."

Amelia screamed as she fell, splashing into the rushing water beneath with her fist tight around her ring. Neal walked away satisfied, driving into the night with a smug smile on his face knowing he'd taken everything from the woman he had once loved and the man she rejected him for. Their unborn child never could have survived those beatings, and now their little girl was history.

*Killian's POV*

Emma hadn't stopped crying since we realized Mia was gone but I couldn't blame her. With her leg broken she felt useless though they wouldn't let me go searching either and all we could really do was hold each other, hoping and praying that they'd find her before he hurt her. They'd even called in the Naval police force given my ranking, but this was honestly the worst moment I'd ever had as a parent.

Mia was such a good kid, we'd never had trouble with her. She was always so happy, laughing and running around after that damn puppy of hers. Right now, I'd give anything to hear her giggle.

I blamed myself for the entire situation despite all the times Emma told me otherwise. I should have been watching her, remembered that she always wanted to help and realized that she'd get distracted given that she was three. I was such an idiot, but all I could do now was try to comfort my wife while everyone else searched for our daughter.

*Emma's POV*

The third day without our girl was dawning but I barely noticed the sun. I hadn't slept so neither had Killian, sitting up in bed together just waiting with her stuffed swan in my lap. Killian thought it was funny when she was about six months old but she'd grown ridiculously attached to it the moment he gave it to her. It was getting ratty but she never seemed to care, taking it everywhere, dragging it through the dirt when she played, even making sure it sat on her pillow at night before she went to sleep.

Now its eyes stared at me accusingly, reminding me that if I hadn't been stupid enough to get captured in the first place we would all be safe together in that first safe house, or if I hadn't let him break my damn leg I could have been watching her. This was all my fault and I knew it.

"Stop that," Killian's voice broke into my thoughts and I looked up at him with the ever present tears in my eyes. "You're blaming yourself again. Stop it. There's nothing you could have done, I should have been watching her and I failed."

"Killian-" I started to argue with him yet again but I was interrupted my the most beautiful sound I had ever heard.

"Mommy!!!" Mia yelled happily as she ran into the room and launched herself into my arms. I immediately hugged her to me, in total shock as I looked at Killian and we both broke down. "I misses you and daddy lots!"

"We missed you, too, princess," I almost sobbed, cradling her head as Killian wrapped his arms around us both and I leaned into him. I soon noticed that she was soaked, pulling away to look at her with confusion. "Sweetie, why are you all wet?"

"He threw her in the river," Liam said as he came in and we all looked up at him. "Apparently he didn't know how well she swims. She got herself to one of the houses along the riverbank and they called the police. We were right around there so we went to check it out and I was all but tackled by my soaking wet little niece."

"That's our little water bug," I smiled at her, making her giggle as I hugged her back to me. I finally relaxed with her in my arms and Killian holding us close, closing my eyes with a sigh. "God, we missed you, baby girl. Are you okay?"

"Mhmm," she nodded against my shoulder, clinging to me as Killian ran his fingers through her wet and knotted hair. "Just shivery."

"Why don't we get you in a bath," Killian suggested. "Daddy will get you all cleaned up and in some warm pajamas, then you can have snuggle time with both of us, okay?"

"Otay," she agreed and I kissed her cheek before reluctantly letting her go. She smiled and kissed my belly, giggling when the baby fluttered at her. "Bye, sissy. I be right back."

Killian picked her up and bent to kiss my forehead, caught by surprise when I looked up to catch his lips. He pulled away and I gave him a small smile, making him smile as well as he kissed me again softly. I watched him carry her to the bathroom, listening to them both laugh as she splashed around in the tub. When she came back out she was in her nightgown, her hairbrush in her hand as she bounced back into my lap.

"Mommy brush my hair?" she asked innocently. "Like at home?"

"Of course," I smiled, trying not to let her see my tears as she plopped down in my lap and Killian took his spot next to me with his arm around me. She didn't stop me until her curls were dry, turning to curl up against my chest. Liam brought in some grilled cheese and she sighed as she ate, closing her eyes and relaxing with our arms around her. "Just like at home, baby girl."

"I knowed he lied," she said quietly when she finished eating and wrapped her arms around me. "I knowed mommy and daddy loves me."

"Always," Killian assured her, making her smile when he kissed her forehead and I rubbed her back gently. "You never need to worry about that. You'll always be loved beyond words."

"Love mommy and daddy, too," she sighed happily and soon fell asleep. I looked at Killian and he had the same look on his face that I did, such love and relief that there were no words. He kissed my forehead and pulled us closer, all of us just happy to be back together.

Okay, you guys leave the best comments. I just couldn't let you suffer any longer. Now a question! What the bloody hell do I name their new daughter? I'm totally stuck.