12 Weeks

*Killian's POV *

I'd had to leave suddenly a few days after the party on some classified work. I couldn't tell Emma where I was going or when I'd be back, and it killed me. I hated leaving her so much already, and now we'd finally succeeded in getting pregnant, it was almost too much for me.

She did her best to hide her tears when the car picked me up that morning, but I knew her too well. She tucked the ultrasound picture into my pocket, forcing a smile as she looked back up at me. Driving away from her had been one of the hardest things I'd ever had to do.

Now, over six weeks later, I ran back in the house to find it empty. I checked her calender on her desk, finding she had a doctor's appointment in an hour but her car was here so she must have taken a taxi. I grabbed my keys and ran to my truck, screeching out of the driveway. If I hurried, I could just make it in time.

*Emma's POV *

I sat in the back of the taxi, just staring out the window as I ran my hands over the small bump that had become my stomach. My jeans were getting tight but I didn't wear them that often so I didn't care. I'd worn one of Killian's plaid shirts today, though over my tank top and tied it in a knot just above my bump with the sleeves rolled to my elbow, liking to keep him close when I was out- especially for these appointments.

I'd just gotten comfortable, or as comfortable as I could on the exam table when I heard yelling in the hall. I put my hands on my belly without thinking about it, suddenly feeling over protective. I felt a hand touch mine and looked up at my OBGYN giving me a reassuring smile.

"Its alright. I'll go check," she said and I nodded, sitting up as she went to the door. She opened it and it went silent for a moment. "Let him go. It's fine, I know him. Come on, Navy man."

"Killian?" I asked with confusion and he walked in a moment later, the anger in his eyes visibly fading when he saw me. Tears gathered in my eyes and I grabbed the front of his uniform, pulling him closer to wrap my arms around his neck as he hugged me tightly and buried his face in my hair.

"Hey, beautiful," he said quietly and I could hear the smile in his voice. I giggled a little, pulling away to look at him with my hands on his cheeks. "I didn't miss it, did I?"

"No, we were just getting started," my doctor said and he nodded, helping me get comfortable again. "Go ahead and lift your shirt for me."

"You're showing already," he smiled a bit when I did as she asked, holding one of my hands tightly as the other stroked my hair gently. "I missed so much."

"Not too much," I assured him, squeezing his hand as the doctor put the cold blue goo on my stomach and turned on the monitor. "The eight week picture is at home. That's the only checkup you missed."

"Well you're twelve weeks now, so you've finished your first trimester," she said as a familiar thumping filled the room. "You're progressing very nicely, better than most actually. You should be able to see the profile of your baby's face today."