Chapter 25: A Fallen Home

We sit in the house together quietly. Some are biting their nails, others tapping their feet as we wait for answers, for results. As time passes us by, the sun goes down and it's now dark, the moon not very bright as it wanes out. We wait and wait, nothing but silence seeping through the frame of the house as none of us can say anything. A shot goes off and everyone jerks at the noise. We don't say anything though, instead we wait to see if there are more to follow.

"I'm going after them." Andrea stands up to leave after minutes of waiting again.

Lori discourages her, "don't, they could be anywhere."

"And if Randall come backs, we're gonna need you here." I confirm with Lori, sitting across from her on the couch. Andreas gotten better at shooting since her incident with Daryl, and she's one of the only ones still here carrying.

Just then Daryl and Glenn come back into the house. Daryl looks around before asking, "Rick and Shane ain't back?"

"No. We heard a shot." I tell them.

"Maybe they found Randall." Carol suggests, perking up just a bit with hopefulness it could be over.

Glenn answers her, "we found him."

Lori asks, "is he back in the shed?" her eyes wide.

"He's a walker." Glenn informs us all.

Hershel asks a more important question, "did you find the walker that bit him?"

"No, the weird thing is, he wasn't bit." Daryl explains to eager eyes, "his neck was broke."

Patricia adds to it, suggesting what happened to him, "so he fought back."

Daryl shakes his head, "the thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other. And Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up behind him. They were together." Daryl's voice is hesitant, probably knowing what he is saying sounds strange.

Everyone is confused at what he is saying, not sure what to make of it all. Lori goes over to him, "would you please get back out there, find Rick and Shane and find out what on earth is going on?" She almost begs.

Daryl obliges, "you got it" and he leaves the house.

"So, we just wait here?" Andrea asks with her hands on her hips. I shake my head not having an answer and some others shrug.

Andrea rolls her eyes and heads out after Daryl and a few of us follow her out to the porch. I step up to the railing and gasp at what lies a head of us. A herd of walkers, larger then anything we've ever come across is heading our way. My mouth gapes open and fear runs through my body.

Hershel whispers out, "Patricia, kill the lights."

"I'll get the guns." Andrea steps a side and moves to the house.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway." I suggest hopefully in a low voice.

"Should we just go inside?" Glenn asks nervously.

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about. A herd that size would rip the house down." Daryl offers up the grim scene for us to imagine.

Lori runs outside to us in a dizzy, "Carl's gone."

"What?" Daryl sputters out looking to her.

"He... he was upstairs. I can't find him anymore." Lori is besides herself with worry.

Glenn comments, "maybe he's hiding."

"He's supposed to be upstairs. I'm not leaving without my boy." Lori panics further.