Chapter 10: A Broken World

I wander back into the room I slept in last night. I know everyone will pile back out soon enough and some will spend their time in the rec room. I want to be left alone and I know Daryl will leave me be. Some time passes before he comes into the room with a whiskey bottle in hand. He stops short when he see's me, eyeing me for only a minute before moving forward again and plopping down onto the bed. We sit silently as I stare at the floor.

"Thanks" I mumble, not sure what for but I felt the need to say it. I look down at the worn flannel I'm still in, "oh, and now everyone thinks somethin' happened between us" I chuckle out grabbing at the shirt, slightly embarrassed, "don't know how to explain that away."

"let em' think what they want, they don't know nothin'" he comments back, taking another swig from the bottle before changing the shirt he's in. He catches me eyeing him and thrusts his arm forward, "want some?" he asks after getting his arm through the sleeves. I shake my head no and he shrugs, taking another gulp. He wipes his mouth off with his arm, "can I ask you somethin'?" He asks me.

I nod letting him know to go for it when the lights turn off in the room, "what the

I nod letting him know to go for it when the lights turn off in the room, "what the.." I drift off saying. We look at each other and then move straight to the door. Daryl leans in the hall way, holding onto the side of the door and I lean right behind him, smelling the whiskey.

"What's going on? Why is everything turned off?" He asks. Everyone else also piling into the hall.

Dr. Jenner grabs the bottle from his hands, "energy use is being prioritized." he swigs from it.

Dale asks as we follow him down the hall, "Air isn't a priority?"

"And lights?" I add on to his comment.

"It's not up to me. Zone 5 is shutting itself down." he says calmly.

"Hey!" Daryl calls after him, "hey, what the hell does that mean?" The rest of the power turns off as we enter the computer based room. Daryl getting angrier as Jenner ignores him, "hey man, I'm talking to you! What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?"

Dr. Jenner responds, "You'd be surprised." He comments as we head down the stairs. Rick and Dr. Jenner exchange words. Only some of what I can hear from where I am standing at the back of the group. Dr. Jenner hands the bottle back to Daryl and he grabs it from him with force, "it was the French." the Dr. comments, looking at someone in particular. I can't tell if it was Andrea or Carol but one of the women asks, "what?" and he responds "They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened?" Jacqui asks.

"The same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs of fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?" Jenner spits out, seeming less stable then he's been since we arrived.