Chapter 8: A Safe Haven

Trigger warning: self-harm

We move into the elevator off the main floor after Dr. Jenner told us we must submit to a blood test in order to stay. It hums as we move down. Daryl comments, "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" his eyes stare down the automatic weapon in the doctors hands, and my eyes draw to it as well.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself." He informs all of us. "But you look harmless enough." he adds on. "Except you." he looks directly at Rick's son. It takes a moment but Carol smiles back and the Dr. chuckles.

"Welcome to Zone 5" he says entering the large room once the doors are open.

"Where is everybody?" I ask out loud, noticing the full room of equipment with no one to run it.

"The other doctors, the staff?" Rick adds on to what I asked.

"I'm it. It's just me here" he responds as if that's normal.

"What about the person you were speaking with?" Lori asks, "Vi?"

He smiles faintly, "Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them.. Welcome" A woman's computerized voice announces over a system, "Hello, guests. Welcome." and then the Dr. speaks to us again "I'm all that's left. I'm sorry" he turns and walks towards a door way.

We all get our blood drawn by him, some annoyed and some relaxed as we wait for everyone to be collected. After Andrea was the last to go the Dr. invited us all to dinner. Everyone sits around the table chuckling and laughing like it's Christmas morning. The wine goes around from glass to glass, bottle after bottle are being opened. I sit next to Shane, skipping on the drinks and passing it to Daryl. He waves it away with a 40 in his hand and I stand to pass it off to Glenn whose sitting on a counter top.

 He waves it away with a 40 in his hand and I stand to pass it off to Glenn whose sitting on a counter top

Carl tries some wine and squirms with disgust as everyone laughs, including myself. I remember Dwayne in that moment, and I hope him and his father have found somewhere safe as well. "So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, doc?" Shane asks. I hit my hand against his knee under the table shaking my head to tell him it's not the time but he ignores me. "All the... the other doctors that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, where are they?"

Rick speaks up though to try to and steer the conversation away from where he's trying to get it to go, "we're celebrating, Shane. Don't need to do this now."

"Whoa, wait a second." he holds up his hand at Rick for a moment, "this is why we're here, right? This was your move..." his eyes look at the people in front of him, "Supposed to find all the answers. Instead we.." He chuckles, "we found him. Found one man. Why?" He's facing Dr. Jenner now, eargerly waiting his reasoning.

"Well, when things got bad, a lot of people just left. Went off to be with their families. And when things got worse, when the military quarantine got overrun, the rest bolted." He explains.