Chapter 17: Woodland Secrets

Rick walks up to the truck we're all surrounded by the next day, "all right, everyone's getting new search grids today. If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far." He explains looking down at the map.

"I'd like to help." Jimmy steps up from the side of everyone, "I know the area pretty well and stuff."

Rick asks him, "Hershel's okay with this?"

"Yeah yeah. He said I should ask you." Jimmy responds.

"All right then. Thanks." He says

Shane pipes in now from the passenger side door of the truck,Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me. Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse."

I add on, "Anybody includes her, right?" and some of the others nod to agree.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl reminds him.

Andrea encourages Daryl's find, "It's a good lead. Maybe we'll pick up her trail again."

"No maybe about it." Daryl retorts, "I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her."

"I'd like to come too, help look out up there" I say to the group, to him. He glares at me and I can't tell if he is going to go along with it.

"Good idea." Rick says, stomping out any protest Daryl might have put up.

T-dog points at the map, "maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too."

"Chupacabra?" Rick and I say at the same time with curiosity.

"You never heard this?" Dale asks and I shake my head no, "our first night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra."

Jimmy chuckles at the short story, "what are you braying at, jackass?" Daryl snorts to the young boy.

"You believe in a blood-sucking dog?" Jimmy asks with a smile still on his face.

"Do you believe dead people walking around?" Daryl retorts before walking away. I give the young boy a half-hearted smile trying to tell him not to worry about it and follow Daryl as he walks to the barn for a horse. We get to the barn and walk inside slowly, "you ever ride a horse before Sadie-Mae?" He asks as we get to a stable.

I shake my head no, "not on my own. I rode on the back of one with Rick on the way into Atlanta" I explain, admiring the brown beauty we are standing in front of.

He sighs, "fine, we take one then" and he starts to prep the horse for riding, "alright, hop on, I'll help you up" he bends down his knees a little and cuffs his hands for me to step in. I put one foot in and he lifts up his knees and gives me some height to get on.

He removes one hand from my heal and pushes up at my back upper thigh. His grip startling and tickling me and I squirm at it, "ahhhhaha" I say chuckling as I get on.

He guides the horse out of the stall and to an area with something he can step on. He swings his leg around, and I lean back giving him room so he can saddle himself comfortably, "aight, don' go making any loud noises, scarin' the horse or nothin'" he comments before kicking at it to get it moving forward. We ride silently to the creek, the hot air hitting my face with force. I try to bury my face into Daryl's back to block it from the bugs and sun, but the ride is too bumpy to do any real good.

 I try to bury my face into Daryl's back to block it from the bugs and sun, but the ride is too bumpy to do any real good