Chapter 23: A Tough Choice

Later that day we all meet inside the house to discuss the situation of Randall, the prisoner

Later that day we all meet inside the house to discuss the situation of Randall, the prisoner. If he is going to live or die. Dale came to me earlier to talk and it was easy for him to get me on his side, to try and save a human life. We all sit or stand awkwardly, waiting for the conversation to begin.

"So how do we do this?" I ask, standing next to Dale from a door way.

Andrea questions, "just take a vote? Does it have to be unanimous?" she asks.

"How about majority rules?" Lori offers a suggestion.

Rick pauses everyone's thoughts, "well, let's-- let's just see where everybody stands, then we can talk through the options."

Shane rests against the fire place, "well, where I sit, there's only one way to move forward."

"Killing him, right? I mean, why even bother to even take a vote? It's clear which way the wind's blowing" Dale speaks up, aggravated as hell about the situation.

"Well, if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know." Rick assures him he's going to listen to everyone who wants to be heard.

"Well, I can tell you it's a small group" Dale adds on, "maybe just me, Sadie and Glenn." he looks at me and then over to Glenn.

Glenn eyes us both with a sorry look before responding, "look, I-- I think you're pretty much right about everything, all the time, but this.."

Dale interrupts him, "they've got you scared."

Glenn argues his own thoughts, "he's not one of us. And we've-- we've lost too many people already."

"How about you? Do you agree with this?" Dale looks to me for a changing response.

I shake my head no, "No, I think he's a person, we shouldn't kill him." I tell them all.

"Couldn't we continue keeping him prisoner?" Maggie asks.

"Just another mouth to feed." Daryl pipes in.

"It may be a lean winter." Hershel comments from where he is sitting.

"We could ration better." Lori offers.

I offer another idea, "well, he could be an asset."

"Give him a chance to prove himself." Dale adds on to my comment.

"Put him to work?" Glenn asks, mulling over the idea.

Rick veto's it instantly, "we're not letting him walk around."

Maggie jumps in with a suggestion, "we could put an escort on him." She looks around to see who agrees with her idea.

"Who wants to volunteer for that duty?" Shane rolls his eyes.

"I will. Sadie will" Dale offers. I nod my head agreeing to it.

"I don't think any of us should be walking around with this guy." Rick still denies the suggestion.