Chapter 15: Search Party

"Sadie" I hear a female say my name, "what are you doing out here?" The light gets closer and I can see Andrea and Daryl walking towards me

"I'm looking for Sophia" I tell them blankly.

"By yourself?" Daryl grunts at me with jaded eyes.

I shrug, "seems pretty quiet out right now." I see they are walking the way I was coming from, "I went down a little ways, nothing so far." I inform them, thinking there's no point for them to go.

"Can't hurt to look a bit more" Andrea says with a soft smile. I shrug agreeing and turn around to walk with the two of them. A few more steps in and Andrea asks us, "you really think we're gonna find Sophia?"

He shines a light on me and looks carefully for something, he then shines it on Andrea, "you got that look on you're face same as everybody else." he comments. "What the hell is wrong with you people? We just started looking." he says putting the light back into the woods.

"Well, do you?" She pushes for an answer.

"Of course" I say in a loud whisper, really believing we'll find her. We need to find her, she's just a child. She needs to be okay.

"It ain't the mountains of Tibet. It's Georgia. She could be holed up in a farmhouse somewhere. People get lost and they survive. It happens all the time." Daryls says to us both.

"She's only 12." Andrea adds for emphasis to get her own point across.

"Hell, I was younger than her and I got lost." Daryl says. "Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak."

I stop for only a moment, shining my light on him, "they found you?"

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doing another stint in juvie. Didn't even know I was gone." He turns to tell me before walking on again, "I made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful." He tells us.

Andrea starts to laugh and I do as well, trying to cover it up with my hand, "I'm sorry," she says trying to stop, "I'm sorry, that is a terrible story" but her laughter continues.

All 3 of us look at each other and laugh some more, even Daryl chuckles. Daryl interrupts it soon after it starts though and adds, "only difference is Sophia's got people looking for her. I call that an advantage."

I nod in agreement and we keep going. The three of us come across a tent, and hear someone gagging. We run down and come across a geek hanging in a tree, turned into one of them, "what the hell?" Daryl says going closer. Andrea pauses behind him, trying not to throw up. Daryl reads off of something, "Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit." He looks back to us, "Dumb ass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swinging piece of bait. And a mess."

Andrea groans out, "you all right?" I ask her.

"Trying not to puke." She responds back through a cough.

Daryl encourages her, "go ahead if you gotta."

"No, I'm fine. Let's just talk about something else for a minute." She holds at her stomach trying to keep it down.

"How'd you learn to shoot?" I ask Daryl, spitting out the first thing that came to my mind.

"Gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common. I guess it's the closest he's been to food since he turned. Hanging up there like a big pinata." He steps closer, "the other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs." He taps at one of them with his bow.

Andrea then hurls onto the ground, "I thought we were changing the subject." she says afterwards, wiping at her mouth.

"Call that payback for laughing about my itchy ass." He turns to her. I chuckle at his words and he looks to me, "you got some payback comin' too, don't ya worry Sadie-Mae" a smirk crossing his lips. I stick my tongue out at him in response with a smirk.

"There wasn't a lot that came up." Andrea then adds.

"Huh. Let's head back." Daryl turns to leave

"Aren't you gonna..." I trail off, wondering why he isn't killing that thing.

Andrea slowly walks back to the way we came from, "Nah, he ain't hurting nobody. Ain't gonna waste an arrow either. He made his choice. Opted out. Let him hang." he looks at me with something in his eyes, "you want to live now or end up like this poor son a bitch?" he asks as I look at the man in the tree pondering, "It's just a question." he adds on.

"I've never really felt like I was living before anyway. Not for a long, long time at least." I try to explain.

Daryl shoots the dead in its head with an arrow, "not much of an answer." he sighs.

"Waste of an arrow then" I say to him and he nods before we both go and follow Andrea out of the area.

We make our way back to the RV and as we approach we watch Carol make her way inside. I follow behind Daryl and we close the door, Dale wanting to talk with Andrea. Carol cuddles herself in a ball on the bed, weeping for Sophia.

"It's not right" I say in a whisper to myself.

"What ain't?" Daryl asks me lying on the floor with his eyes closed.

"What?" I'm drawn to his voice, "oh, nothing. Just talking to myself" I return to him.

He pushes himself up on his elbow, "they say the crazy do that" he raises an eyebrow.

I shake my head, "you're only crazy when you answer yourself back" I smirk back.

He chuckles, "guess that's true.." He says closing his eyes again.