15. The Round Room

Start from the beginning

At the golden gates sat a pair of Angels in white robes, bickering and laughing while playing cards. Topaz cleared her throat as she reached the gates and hit out with her own attitude through Abi's voice, "Why don't you get off your lazy behinds' and open this gate?" The two Angels leapt to their feet, embarrassed to have been caught off-guard. "M-M-M-Miss Lightingale!" The round man said, his white-blonde hair cropped and shining in the non-sun lit morning. "What a surprise to see you have returned..." The other one said, his lanky frame hurrying over to the shelter beside the gates and fumbling with the controls inside. The gates began to silently open, no creaking or cracking alerting others to their opening. Abi told Topaz that the thin Angel was Alec and the round one was Andrew. "Why? Have you been looking?" Topaz asked, walking through the gates in Abi's white ballet pumps. "O-o-of course we have Miss, your parents have been worried out of their minds!" Topaz continued walking up the drive away from the Angel guards. "Well maybe they deserve to be." Topaz murmured under her breath in her own voice.

Be careful Topaz, please, my parents, they're... They're very dangerous Angels.

Topaz paused at the top of the golden drive, where it curved in a circle around a large white and gold marble fountain with an Angel, mermaid, witch, pixie, werewolf and vampire moulded in the centre, the Angel the largest figure in the centre of the fountain with the others bowed at their feet. Topaz's stomach churned. She looked up at the towering four-storey mansion in front of her, the semi-circle white marble steps leading up to the house laid out infront of her. "It's alright Abi," Topaz whispered. "I know exactly what I'm doing." Even if the two girls knew that was a lie, Topaz managed to climb the stairs to the large golden front door and inhale a large mouthful of fresh air. This was it. She told herself. No going back.

Much to the Worlder's surprise, the door flew open violently just as Topaz extended her hand to ring the golden doorbell. "ABI MY ANGEL!" The woman cried, leaping forward and throwing her arms around her. The Angel was tall and slim with blonde hair straight to her elbows, pulled back at the sides of her face with a clasp pinning it at the back. She wore a long white gown accessorised with gold, her feet bear on the white marble of the doorstep. Her wings were folded at her back as she embraced Abi with relief. 

This is my mother.

Abi whispered in Topaz's mind. Swallowing that thought Topaz took a step away from the woman. "Thank the Angel you have returned," She said and grabbed Abi's hand, yanking her inside the house. "Your father and I have been worried sick about you, you poor thing!" Topaz could tell the woman was stern and cold-hearted, a bitch if there ever was one. Her "caring" act was anything but sincere, an elderly angel dressed in gold awaiting a younger angel in the drawing-room doorway on Topaz's right in the entryway. "Where have you been?" Abi's mother asked. "I-I'd rather not talk about it, mother. I-I'd like to rest." Topaz stuttered carefully in Abi's voice. "Well then, rest you may," She pushed Abi towards the two awaiting female Angels who gripped Topaz with an elbow each. "Take her to her room." Abi's mother informed the two Angels. She didn't say it but Topaz heard the extra instruction of, 'make sure she doesn't leave'. The Angels yanked Abi up the immediate flight of white marble stairs, everything in the interior of the mansion white and marble with portraits of the Lightingale family decorating the walls.

They removed Alice and Aden the day I left...

Abi whispered in Topaz's mind as she observed the portraits in the hall of the second floor where the Angels were taking her.

It was to mark their disgrace as a warning to the rest of us...

Topaz shook her head in disgust. "Is something the matter, miss?" The older Angel asked as the younger one unlocked the door to Abi's bedroom at the end of the corridor on the second floor. Abi told Topaz that the Angel who had spoken was Anastasia. "Anastasia..." Topaz gasped. Aden's nanny.... The woman who had raised him... "Yes miss?" The woman asked, throwing the younger Angel a look at the back of her head as she dragged Abi inside her bedroom. Topaz cleared her throat. "I'm fine," She snapped, glancing around the room. "I wish to be alone now, please." She yanked her elbows free and flattened down her dress. "But miss, after so much time alone, don't you long for company?" The youngest Angel - Alexis - asked sternly. "It was two days Alexis; I hardly count that as a long time!" Anastasia bowed her head to hide her smile while Alexis' cheeks brightened. "And I would much rather bathe alone thank you very much!" Alexis smiled at Topaz as she said, "As you wish miss. Just call if you need anything." The Angel then curtseyed, much to Topaz's surprise. "Thank you." Topaz nodded as Anastasia mirrored Alexis' curtsey before exiting the room.