Chapter 3

Whatever happened in the afternoon was nothing. This day could not get any worse than what's about to happen at dinner tonight. After that great big conversation, or more like an argument, no one has spoken a single word to each other. Apart from the ladies, no one has said anything to Aunty Roop. It must have been serious, things like this happen in our house but nothing as big as this has ever happened.Every once in a while, there used to be arguments on the girl they should choose to marry Veer, but after a few hours the temper would calm down and things would go back to normal.

Aunty Roop was in her room unpacking her bag and whilst she did that, she kept bringing the subject of me and Disha going to the city to uncle.I was about to enter the room to ask them to come down for dinner and I could see that even uncle started to have second thoughts. Dahda Ji must have scared him for sure but Aunty Roop was in no position to loose this war.

I decided before entering I'd knock on the door, but a creek on the floor board was loud enough to make Uncle notice I was in the room.

"Roop, Simiran is here", He spoke in a stern voice so that Aunty Roop would stop talking.

I felt a little nervous knowing that they weren't in a good mood. "I just came to say the dinner is ready and everyone is waiting down stairs", I struggled to get words out.

Uncle looked at Roop and decided he would go down first. It felt like he purposely wanted Aunty Roop to have time alone with me. She was always open to me and I knew she always wanted the best for me but I guess this time she had taken a leap into a whole new idea of making us represent ourselves more than what we are.

"Aunty Roop, I am sorry about how every ones being acting, it's really silly, they don't understand how things have changed. They still see you as a woman that thinks like them, but I know you aren't the same".

Aunty Roop suddenly stopped with the unpacking and sat down on the bed,asking me to also sit next to her.

"Simiran you are the only one that understands me well in this house, but Dahda Ji isn't seeing past his values. He needs to see what's it like there. The world outside this village has changed. Look at my daughters, I wasn't capable enough to control them, I couldn't even get them to dress properly".

I gave a chuckle, picturing the way Sharon and Diya gave there grand entrance.

"Simi do you believe that once you leave this place and come to the city with me, you might have a brighter future?"

I saw the worried look on Aunty Roop's face and couldn't resist but tell her what I really believed in.

"Aunty Roop, I won't lie, but I have always wanted to make a name for myself, wanted to get better education and get the best job, but since high school ended I was started to lose the hope, I was starting to see the dark end of the tunnel. I do agree that you're idea of taking us to the city is great but it came out too sudden.You should have waited when the time was right".

"But Simi, there is never a right time. I don't want to be sitting around,waiting till the day Dahda Ji happens to be in a good mood so I could approach him with this plan. You would be wasting so much of you're life. You know Sharon has already began College and found a career plan set out and soon Diya will be doing the same. I can't even imagine not letting my two other daughters miss out on the opportunity".

I was beginning to picture myself doing the same things Sharon is doing and seeing myself attending lectures and making new friends. It all seemed so real but I had to ask Aunty Roop how she was ever going to get us to the city after Dahda Ji's refusal.

Aunty Roop's expression changed from looking all worried to looking excited.

"Well I'll give this another try to convince Dahda Ji, but if that attempt fails, I have made this other brilliant plan that will definitely fool all of them".

Fora second I was frozen just imaging Aunty Roop trying to re-convince Dahda Ji. It was like she wasn't even scared of him anymore. But hearing that she had a plan, I was willing to take part in it.

"So Aunty Roop, you're telling me that you have a back-up plan and that this brilliant plan might get us a ticket to the city?". Aunty Roop kept nodding her head making it seem all real.

"Well then what are you waiting for tell me the plan!", I was to eager to hear her plans.

"About the plan, I would need both you and Disha to firstly make my girls feel at home because they will be playing a major role in this and first I need to talk to Dahda Ji again, just in case he might change his mind".

So much for a plan. Aunty Roop wants us to make her modern daughters feel at home in a village like this. I wonder how that is going to work out. But I am happy to try as long as I get to go to the city.

"My lovely Simi are you in or not? We have got a month to make this plan work and get you guys to see the city".

"I am really excited! Let's do this!", I got up and cheered in excitement. I screamed and jumped letting out all the excitement and yet I didn't even know what the plan was.