Chapter 33

This Diwali did not turn out the way I expected it to. On one end I was supporting my cousin on her relationship and on the other hand I was trying to support mine as well. It killed me from the inside to have allowed my friends to even witness what my family thinks about love marriage.

However the point wasn't the marriage, even I wasnt ready for it but I wanted to experience a relationship but either me nor Sharon was gonna get that chance. My parents looked like they didnt have a problem with my relationship with Rey but the fear of them having to talk to my grandparents about this was holding them back.
Why couldn't my father be more like aunty Roop and just talk directly to Daar Ji.
"Simi....simi you there?"
I was in my room, looking out the window deep in thought when Rey had entered the room. Sharon and Jigar were also standing behind him. They all slowly walked inside the room and Jigar sat in my bed while Rey walked further and sat on the sofa. Sharon came and stood next to me and put her hand on my shoulder.
"Are you okay? You just suddenly left us down there and walked off".
I wasn't okay! I wanted to scream and cry. Why was it me that always had to fight for the things I wanted? I was glad I left the family argument downstairs. I couldnt face this anymore.
I nudged off her hand from my shoulder and  sat next to Rey.
"Why do you guys think I walked off? Did you expect me to stay there and smile about my grandparents agreeing to meet Rey's family? Did they even consider asking if I wanted to get married?".
Sharon looked a little angry and went and lay on her side of the bed.
"Simi! Ever thought how I am feeling right now? I was planning on building my career and getting myself a nice apartment but did you see how I was forced into a marriage as well. I mean Jigar's dad was cool with us just living and being together in a relationship but this crazy grandparents of ours, they want us married. I shouldn't have come back to this village, should have just stayed in Mumbai without anyone knowing".

The boys were looking at us confused. 
"I thought only relationships could be this complicated, but you girls are worst", Rey looked at me and expected me to say something in return but Sharon butted in.
"What's so complicating about us?'
"Well, I thought you girls wanted this? I mean Simi already knew this was going to happen so why did you both have to tell the whole family about this?". Rey did bring out a good question.
"Yeh! Rey you do make a point. Sharon you're the one that forced me to introduce you to my father, even though his cool with this, he'd still want to keep his respect and it was bound for him to talk to your family about this, after all they are good friends". Jigar agreed with Rey and they both were now going against us.

"So you boys think this is our fault? Oh please!", Sharon quickly got off the bed and came towards me.
"Listen Rey! We all knew before we got into these relationships that it was going to be tough. So if both you boys love and respect us, you might as well just follow us". Sharon High fived me and we both enlightened the mood by laughing.
No matter what difficulties we were faced with, there were always moments like this that ensured us that it didn't matter if nothing was going according to expectations but we could still enjoy this moment.

The next morning I went downstairs to check up on Rey, feeling scared he might have run away. I felt like I was putting pressure on him with this relationship but before I could enter his room, I heard an angry voice from the inside.
"It's because of you she is in so much stress and trouble!", I peeped inside and saw Sammi was yelling at Rey. They were in an argument and I couldn't just enter in. I stood outside listening to the boys argue.
"Rey! How stupid can you be? Actually you know what? It's because of you she has changed so much". Sammi was putting his finger at Rey and was so close to poking it through his chest.

Sammi thinks Rey has changed me?
"Sammi! Your talking nonsense. I couldn't just stand there and see her get slapped. What would she have thought? That this was all a joke to me? I love her for god sakes! And what is it to you? This is mine and Simi's problem, I don't think you have the right to put out your opinion on this!".
I could see Rey was boiling with anger and Sammi looked away. He turned his back and stood quite.
"So this is where our friendship has taken us to. I thought you would have realised by now". What was Sammi talking about?
"What do you mean Sammi? This is not the end of our friendship, it's just a test. Are you not happy with mine and Simi's relationship?" Sammi was silent for a while and it was killing Rey's patience.
"Sammi! Look at me! Your hiding something. You have till date avoiding me whenever I was with Simi. In Delhi, you decided to tell Simi all your problems and not me or Sharon. Then I find Simi in your arms. Your in love with her". Rey slowly took a step back almost hitting on the table. He had the shock look in his eyes that held me back from going to hug him. 

Sammi was in love with me? But I always thought his kindness,him looking out for me and sharing his problems was all a friendly gesture. Was I blinded by Rey's presence that I didn't pick up on this? After all I did spend most of my time in collage with Sammi more than with Rey, until...until the night Rey told everyone I was his girlfriend. Since then, Sammi has been avoiding us. 

I was scared to enter the room as Sammi hadn't spoken. I decided I'd turn around and leave and speak to Rey in private, but as I turned, I saw Jai standing in front of me.
"Simi?"
"Ssshhhh! They don't know I'm here". I quickly covered Jai's mouth and took him away from the room. "I guess you heard all that as well?".
"I knew about this since day one Simi, I just didn't know what to do".
"You knew about this? That Sammi liked me since the day he met me?"
"Not just Sammi, Rey as well"
"Jai! What are you talking about?"
"Simi? Didn't you notice? Since the day you came to our collage, both Sammi and Rey were stuck to you. They had changed but everyone took it as a new face so new them, but they were both just fighting for you from the inside. Neither of them knew that the other liked you. Sammi would always talk about you when I was with him and Rey would do the same. I was confused and so I thought let the universe decide".
"YOU WHAT?! The universe! Come on Jai! I feel bad for Sammi, I feel like I was leading him on but I wasn't. He was always like a friend to me".
"But you did have feelings for Sammi at the start right?"
"No!" I thought about my answer and realised maybe I did.
"No! I was attracted to Rey and he came to me first and said he liked me".
"So If Sammi had done the same, today it would have been Sammi with you?"
Jai was making my head hurt. 
"Simi, how couldn't you have realised, remember the wedding night in Delhi, Sammi was actually going to confess to you but Rey had spotted both of you and he threw a punch at Sammi. Things went downhill from there".

I stood in silence trying to make sense out of all this. I was trapped in a love triangle that I hadn't known about. It was all my fault for not letting everyone know earlier about me and Rey. Now I have come inbetween their friendship. What should I do?

"Simiran!" Jai flicked his fingers in front of my eyes and waited for my answer.
"I don't know what to do Jai!"
"I think you should just firstly return to Mumbai, meet Rey's parents, get your family issues sorted out and then we'll take care of this".
"But how are we going to take care of this?" Before Jai replied, I saw Rey stomp out of his room and angrily walked towards the garden.
"Simi, go after him, I'll go speak to Sammi, meet me in the rooftop after lunch". I noded my head and ran after Rey.

I found Rey sitting on our garden swing looking out at the mountains.

"Rey.." I went and sat next to him.
"Simi? What are you doing here?"
"I was looking for you and Jai said you were here. What's wrong?"
"Nothing, nothing is wrong". I saw the angry look on his face change to a smile. He knew very well on how to hide his feelings and secrets.
"You know Rey, being you girlfriend, you can share anything with me. If something is bothering you, can you tell me".
"It's nothing Simi. Your worry too much. So why were you looking for me?" He put his hands on my thighs rubbing it up and down, trying to assure me everything was okay.
I put my head on his shoulder and leaned in, making myself comfortable.

"Tell me a bit about your parents. What they like? What's their normal everyday lifestyle like? What they look for in a daughter-in-law?"
Rey looked at me and smiled and soon began telling me a long list of things about his family. My mind however was not there. I was thinking about Sammi.