Chapter 11

Finally the day had come. Everyone, including Jigar were all sitted at the main hall.

Sharon was wearing a beautiful red shefon saree that she had made me purchase from Jigar's store. She and Diya had spent the whole morning cleaning the house, trying to impress Dahdi and now they were both in the kitchen trying to take over the cooking from my mum.

Dahda Ji was confused as to what was going on. But before he could question any further, Aunty Roop caught everyone's attention.

"As you all know, I didn't just come to visit you all during this holidays but I wanted to bring my two daughters and let them experience and see the hardships that are exist outside the city. Me and my husband have both given Sharon and Diya whatever they desired.I wanted to see them both as independent women that held a degree in their hands but at the same time were respected by others".

Dahdaji was sitting in his seat feeling and looking tensed. The room was catching up on the tension. Every ones eyes were shooting laser shots at Aunty Roop. But more so it felt like they by-passed her and shot directly at me. After all, this whole situation was initially started because of my desire to study and live in the city.

"Dahda ji, I know you don't accept the daughters of this house to be too educated or that they become independent, more than their future husbands. But Dahda ji there is life outside this little village, the girls need to come out of their family shell and see what's it like outside this village. If you want the best husbands for Disha and Simran, you need to let them free"

Before Dahda ji could say a single word to Aunty Roop's sudden lecture, I was eyed by her to go get Diya and Sharon.

Both my new-found cousins walked in. Diya was holding a huge tray of various indian snacks and Sharon held another huge tray with cups of chai for everyone.

They slowly moved from one person to other handing them their cup of chai and the snacks.

Lord knows how long Sharon stood near Jigar's seat. Jigar was finding it hard to swallow his spit. He was in attar shock. Even though he had seen Sharon in a saree before, seeing her severing for others and paying respect was just the cherry on top of their wedding cake.

Dahda Ji, Dahdi, my parents and all the other elders, had eyes wide open in shock. They couldn't decide if they eat and drink whatever was handed or start admiring the girls. All in all, suddenly it became loud and everyone was enjoying the food and passing on nice comments to each other.

As Sharon and Diya cleaned up after everyone had eaten, they curiously waited for Dahda Ji's verdict. I was scared as well, but I was glad that at least this whole transformation had made Sharon think different of me and Disha. Both the sisters had become so close to us. Every night, we would stay up late watching Bollywood movies,whilst Sharon nagged that she couldn't wait to take us to her home and make us watch some of the awesome Hollywood movies. On some nights, both the sisters would answer our mysterious questions on what life is like in the city. They would tell us wonderful stories about life in high school where they didn't differentiate between a boy and a girl. Everyone was considered equal. Though Sharon mentioned that sometimes, there are some extraordinary hood looms that would be rude to women.

A few moments later Dahda Ji was ready for his verdict.

"I see that Roop's daughters have indeed changed themselves. The other day they came early in the morning to ask for blessing and I saw them helping with the house work. I can see they are working very hard to be accepted in this house. But Roop dear, I am still very unsure if I can let both my granddaughters go to the city with you. But I have come to a conclusion. My friend had suggested to me earlier about how the universities in the city offer short courses for some of the business degrees. I would be glad to send both Disha and Simiran with you so they could attend the course and be back after 6 months. Will you accept this?"

I was almost jumping where I was standing. This couldn't be happening.It felt like one of my dreams decided it would come out and go for a walk. I happily looked at Disha who was rather shaken. I had always known that she wasn't a big fan of the city, but I remember a month ago she was as excited as I was to be living there. So what's wrong with her now? Why doesn't she look happy?

Disha suddenly walked to Dahda-ji looking rather disappointed.

"Dahda-ji,I know that when you make a decision no one can change it but I can't go to the city. You are sending both me and Simi to study in business, but that's not what I want to do Dahda-ji", What was Disha saying?

Dahda-ji for some reason didn't seem that furious. This was probably the second time in history, apart from the fact that he changed his mind about sending us to the city, that he is going to accept to not let Disha go.

"Putar,may I know what is it that you are interested in?"

"Dahda-ji,I am interested in cooking and I have always dreamed to open my own restaurant, so I would love it if you could let me go study at a cooking school, which isn't far from this village. There is a cooking school in our neigh bouring village and they specialist in local stylecooking. So could I please stay here and study cooking"

"Disha Beti, I am glad to know that you have an interest in learning to cook and would be staying with us. Atleast I would still have one of my grand-daughters with me", Dahda Ji seemed pleased. Well of cause she was the favorite grandchild after Veer Ji. Dahda Ji had no issues saying no to her.

I stood in my spot not even thinking of saying a word. I had got my ticket to Mumbai, my job here was done.

Everyone was looking very excited around the room. The atmosphere had totally changed. I owed Sharon and Diya a big thank you. Without their hard work and such commitment I wouldn't have been able to convince Dahda-ji to let be able accomplish my dreams.

Jigar was enviously waiting to get up from his seat and drag Sharon into a room and apologise to her for everything he had said a few weeks ago.

Slowly,one by one, everyone started to clear the area. The ladies went outside to the garden and the men went upstairs to the study room to discuss business as always and arrange for my university.

I had to talk to Disha, so we both headed to our room. But before I left, I had to thank Aunty Roop.

Iran after Aunty Roop as she headed outside.

"Aunty Roop, I don't really know what I can do to thank you. You helped me get so much closer to my dreams. You fought with you're own father in order for me to receive my freedom. Thank You so much!", I was puffing as I thanked her.

"Dear,you don't need to thank me, but if you want a suggestion, I reckon you should start packing your bags immediately".

I gave her a big hug and thanked her once again.

As I turned to walk off with Disha, I couldn't help but spy on what the two love birds were about to do.

As expected, Jigar couldn't hold it in, he got up and grabbed Sharon's wrist and dragged her outside towards the farm. Sharon was surprised and she looked around to see that no one was looking.