A New Friend

We flew for about 5 miles and stopped by a huge lake. The water looked pretty fresh, so I asked Arthur if I could take a dip for a while.

"Just watch out for any 'things' while your in there," he said with a smile.

I took off my vest and dived in. "I need this," I said under my breath.

A few moments later I saw a girl coming in too. She looked familiar but I still couldn't recognize her.

Her eyes were light blue like mine, but had some yellow towards the center. She was coming in.

I swam behind a rock protruding rock, trying to act like I never saw her.

She submerged her whole body in the lake, and wet her hair. I guess she was enjoying it as much as me.

"Oh hello!" She said looking at me. "Oh hey I didn't see you there," I said back. "Are you traveling with us," the girl said.

Oh. I'm Vanessa by the way," she said in her soft voice. "Peter, and yes I am. Have you liked the journey so far," I asked.

"It's okay," she said bluntly. There was a short silence before I ended it. "So... do you want to swim in that cave over there and talk?"

"Um sure," she said "That sounds nice."

Are you traveling with anyone?" I said as we were entering in the cave. "Just my uncle and I," she said.

"But I want to actually get where we need to be instead of just listening to Arthur say that we're close when we're really so far away."

"I understand," I said. "He can be a little untrustworthy, but I think it's still worth it. Isn't it?

"I'm not so sure," she said. "I just can't believe what I'm going through. Even though my life wasn't so good before the invasion."

"What do you mean?" I said. "Well my father was running low on money so sent me to go work with my uncle in Ramstown to grow and sell crops.

"Apparently he preferred my older and stronger brother to stay with him and for a small weak girl like me to do the work." I guess he loved him more than me."

"You don't look that weak to me," I said. "I mean you may be sensitive but your definitely not weak."

"I'm still not so sure about that," she said. "Well, if you made it this far I would think you can do anything," I said. "And plus you seem kind and good hearted, so you shouldn't really think your weak."

She looked back at me. "Wow... um no one really said something like that to me before... uh... Thank you. "Your very welcome young lady," I said.

We both laughed.

Then suddenly there was a silence. We both were starring into eachothers eyes without saying anything. I was waiting for her to say something. She never did.

Then I moved in a little closer to her. To my surprise she did too.

We moved in closer and closer until...

Out of nowhere, a piercing sound shot through the air. We both darted back and looked around to see what it was.

We heard people running and screaming. "What on earth going on! "I don't know!," I said.

Arthur came over.

"Peter, Vanessa get out of the lake right now!" He said. "What? why?" I said back.

"The horn you heard was from the King's soldiers. He must of sent them to kill any survivors, come on let's go!"

Vanessa and I quickly got out of the lake and got ready to run.

___________________________________

§ I know I haven't published in a long time and the app crashed for me so I lost a chapter 😑 But that's OK as I will be writing much more of the story so enjoy! §