Chapter 24: You Remembered Me

Vic’s POV

Everyone else had left to go home, and I was sitting there, alone, in the silent waiting room, wanting nothing more than to see Dakota. It was so early in the morning, and I knew that she was probably asleep, but I didn’t even care. I needed to see her. So I got up and wandered around, trying to find a nurse. I almost ran into one, I was so tired, but I managed to stay awake.

“Excuse me, is there any way that I can see Dakota Reese? I know that I have been here all night, and I’m sure that she is sleeping, but it would mean a lot,” I pleaded.

The nurse saw that I was serious and really wanted to see her. She sighed.

“Yeah, sure, why not? You’ve been here all night. Just don’t purposely wake her up. She needs her sleep, she is really beaten up still.

I furiously nodded my head, showing that I understood, and followed her to Dakota’s room. She entered the room first to make sure that she was okay, and then motioned for me to enter in after her. There was a chair in the room, that was close to the window. She pointed to it.

“You can sit here, because somehow I have a feeling that you’ll want to stay a while. Is she your girlfriend?”

I sat down in the chair and nodded. “Yep, but she doesn’t remember anything about me, or the shitty things that I’ve done, but at this point, I’d do anything for her to remember,” I whispered, keeping my voice down.

“Well, you can’t do anything except wait and hope. I’ll let you be” And with that, the nurse left the room, but what she said was true, all I could do was wait and hope, but that wasn’t going to stop me from trying and help her remember.
I sat there for a good hour, watching her sleep, not being able to do much more, and I finally fell asleep myself.

Dakota’s POV

I woke up, my mind still blurry. I rubbed my eyes, and looked around my room. The clock to the right of my bedside said that it was 10 in the morning. I knew I was here in the hospital,  and I knew that I hurt myself and the doctors told me how, but I couldn’t remember it, and it sounded so awful, that I was glad that I didn’t. When I finally turned my head to the left, I was taken back, because sitting there, in an old hospital chair was Vic. I had met him last night, and he seemed really nice, and told me that we were friends, but I couldn’t remember him or who he was or how I knew him. He was also talking about our neighbor, which was really tripping me out because my neighbor back in Idaho had a beard, and wasn’t a 5’7 mexican with great hair and a drop dead smile. I was really confused to say the least.  He got really excited when I said I remembered something, and I think he thought I meant him, but I knew nothing about him, and really just wanted to see Audrey last night, and I felt kinda bad for it.

“Excuse me, ummm... Vic? Vic, wake up.” I whispered at him, feeling really awkward. His head jolted back when he finally woke up, like he was surprised. He rubbed his eyes and smiled at me; he had this really sexy smile, for having just woken up.

“Dakota! You remembered me, oh my god...” He fell silent, staring at me with a smile on his face.

“Yeah! You were here last night and we talked, I remember that!” I saw his face fall a little bit, but he kept smiling.

“Yeah, we talked a little bit last night. And sorry that I fell asleep in here, I didn’t mean to, its just much calmer here and I was able to make sure that you were ok.”

I felt flutters in my stomach, knowing that he spent all night here, waiting for me, to make sure that I was okay, and yet I couldn’t even remember him.