Chapter 13: Shut Up And Kiss Me

Dakota’s POV

Someone was gently playing with my hair, lightly stroking it back again and again. My head was definitely not on a pillow, but it was warm. My arm was resting on top of something that was also warm... and it had a heartbeat?

I opened my eyes and tilted my head upwards. Vic was looking down at me, smiling. My head was on his shoulder, my arm was across his bare chest, and his arm was under my neck. His head was surrounded by bright light, and I was very confused. Was I in Heaven or something?

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” Vic said, his voice hardly over a whisper.

I smiled, but was still confused. Last thing I remember was being in front of a bonfire. “Where are we?” I asked him, my mind still in a haze.

He chuckled softly. “We’re in the RV, Kota. You fell asleep outside last night and we didn’t want to wake you, so you and Mike switched places for the night.”

I rubbed my eyes and looked around me. I then realized that the light around Vic’s head was just from the sun shining directly into the RV, but I might as well have been in Heaven.

“Oh,” was all I could manage to say. I noticed that I was still sort of on top of Vic, and began to move away to give him some space.

His arm tightened around my shoulder. “No,” he said. What? “I mean uh, you don’t have to move... it doesn’t bother me.”

“Okay,” I said, then relaxed again, settling back into Vic’s embrace.

“So what did you think about San Diego?” he asked me.

“It was amazing. The interview, the adventures...”

“The pranks,” he cut in.

I covered my mouth to suppress my laugh and tried my hardest not to wake up the others with my laughing and potential snorting. Vic began laughing too, and we sat there with our bodies shaking with laughter, trying not to make a sound.

“Honestly though, Mike’s face when he walked back into the RV that morning,” I said.

Vic impersonated his face and it looked exactly like Mike’s had. I laughed even harder, and Vic put his hand over my mouth.

“Shh!” he tried to say, but was laughing too much.

Once we caught our breaths, I asked, “What time is it anyways?”

“Who cares?” Vic said softly, squinting his eyes ever so slightly and smiling.

I smiled back and said, “Seriously.”

He looked at his phone and responded, “It’s about 9:30.”

I didn’t say anything, not feeling the need to, and just laid with Vic in silence for a few minutes. Suddenly, his stomach growled, and I glanced up at him

“What a surprise,” I said, smiling at him.

He shrugged and said, “I can’t help it, and you know that.”

“Maybe we should make breakfast,” I offered sarcastically, and he smiled and threw back the blanket.

We got up and began cooking breakfast for everyone. As much as I loved coffee, I couldn’t make a good cup of it to save my life, so I had Vic start the coffee maker. I began frying the hash browns and, dare I say it, bacon, for everyone but Tony and me.

Mike woke up first, jumping down off the bunk to say hello. He helped out with breakfast, cooking the pancakes and eggs. Everyone was up by the time the food was ready, and we ate outside. It was such a beautiful morning.