Chapter 23: It's Me, Remember?

Audrey’s POV

So far, this day had gone from great, to odd, to downright shitty. I sat in the waiting room of the hospital, desperately awaiting the doctor to call us and deliver news about how Dakota was doing.

“Victor Fuentes? Audrey Parker?” a man asked. My head snapped up and I jumped out of my chair, trailing right behind Vic.

“How’s Dakota? Is everything okay?” Vic asked.

The doctor had an extremely sullen look on his face before pulling both Vic and me into a corner. “I have some bad news...” he cautiously said. Shit. Shit. Not Dakota. I instinctively turned into Vic and he held me tight as both us of cried.

“She’s not dead. She’s fully there... but you might not be.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, wiping my nose as a small rush of relief washed over me.

“It seems that Dakota has lost her memory. Tests are being done as we speak to determine how far back she has lost it.”

“How did that happen?” I asked as Vic stood quietly.

“She sustained a severe head injury sometime when she was in the water. She also has more minor head gashes, so we suspect that the water pushed her into the rocks. And if she had received one more knock to the head, I’m afraid to say that she wouldn’t be here at all right now,” the doctor informed us, to help us realize how dangerous the situation was.

“When can we see her?” Vic asked anxiously.

“As soon as the tests are done, well will call you in. Only one person is allowed in her room at a time right now, so figure amongst yourselves who sees her first.”

“Okay! Thank you so, so much, doctor,” I shook the man’s hand, then walked back over to the group.

They were all staring at Vic and me with impatient eyes. “So how is she?” Jenna asked cautiously before the others could get a word in.

“She’s alive,” Vic told them, though tears still ran down his cheeks.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as a round of hugs was passed along.

“Well when can we see her?” Jaime asked.

“As soon as she’s done having tests taken. And there’s something else...” I said. I took a deep breath before continuing. “She lost her memory. It could have been all of it, and it could have been only a small portion. So the doctor is going to call us in one by one,” I paused, “and I guess we’ll see who she remembers, right?” I finished the sentence with a break in my voice, and Jaime pulled me into his arms as I cried on his shoulder. I took a deep breath, because I knew that I needed to calm down. She is going to be okay, Audrey. You need to be strong for her and yourself and your friends. I wiped my eyes and sat impatiently for another half hour, resting on Jaime’s shoulder. The doctor came over to us again.

“Ms. Parker, may I speak with you?” he asked, calmly, probably because he was so used to giving news.

I got up and walked over to him. We were far enough away from the others so that they couldn’t hear us.

“So, you are now able to go visit Dakota. She won’t remember many things, so you are going to have to be very patient. We decided to send you in first because you seem to have a more extensive relationship with her. After you go, Mr. Fuentes will be allowed to visit her.”

I shook my head in agreement, because I was too excited to speak and I knew that I needed to be calm while seeing Dakota. He opened the door to her room and ushered me in. I saw Dakota laying propped up on her bed. Her head had bandages wrapped around it as well as her arms. She had an IV in her arm and her legs seemed bulkier than usual, which meant that they had wrapping on them as well. She immediately turned and put on a little smile, which made my heart melt. She looked so innocent sitting in her giant bed, like a little kid, which made me feel bad.