Chapter 12: Consider Yourself Pranked

Audrey’s POV

-Three days Later-

After five days of touring San Diego, going to the beach, walking to small shops around the city, and just adventuring, we only had 1 official day left before we had to drive back to Los Angeles, and we wanted to make it count. We all woke up around the same time, and looked at each other cluelessly. We were all slightly on edge from sleeping in such a small space for so long and we just needed to go do something fun.

I was talking to Jaime when out of nowhere, Vic stood up and yelled, shocking us all.

“I know! We should all go to the zoo! There are animals and fun things to do!”

“Animals? At the zoo? Nooo...” Mike mocked him. He was clearly still grumpy from when we left him outside.

We all ignored Mike’s remark and agreed with Vic, excited to actually be doing something other than sitting around or eating. Almost immediately, we began packing waters, snacks, and anything else we needed for the day. Dakota and I changed into shorts and tanks tops. She threw her hair up into a messy ponytail and I braided mine back. We did our makeup, brushed our teeth, grabbed our backpacks, and walked out of the back of the RV looking a hell of a lot better than we had 10 minutes earlier.

The boys greeted us outside of the RV with all of their stuff in their hands. We walked down the street to the bus stop and waited for a few minutes. Once the bus arrived, we filed in and found seats at the back of the bus.

The first thing Dakota said was, “I hate buses. They’re so gross and sticky and they smell weird.”

“You’re such a girl,” Mike told her.

“Yeah Dakota, man up!” I added in, smirking at her in the process.

I saw Vic lean over and whisper something to Dakota. Well, he tried to whisper, but clearly failed because I could still hear him. He told her, “That’s okay, I’m not too fond of buses either.” They smiled at each other, which made me smile to myself. Honestly though, when were they going to get together? I turned around so I was facing forward again and held Jaime’s hand.

“Today is going to be so much fun!” I told him.

“I know I’m so pumped! We’re going straight to the dragons!” Jaime exclaimed, clapping his hands together once.

I laughed at him. “I don’t think there will be any dragons there, baby,” I told him in an overly-sweet voice, so he wouldn’t get too disappointed.

“What zoo doesn’t have dragons??” Jaime questioned, a little too loud. A few people towards the front of the bus turned around.

“All of them!” the boys and Dakota all told him at once.

“Psh, I knew that,” Jaime said, waving them off.

I laughed and said, “Well, I want to see the owls first.” I held onto his arm right above his elbow and looked into his eyes, begging silently.

“Of course we can see the owls first,” he told me, then kissed the tip of my nose. I smiled and scrunched up my nose, kissing his cheek.

After a few more minutes, we arrived at the front entrance of the zoo. Everyone filed out of the bus and walked over to the ticket stand. We paid for entrance, then walked inside towards the park map.

“It’s an enchilada,” Jaime said, pointing to a picture of echidnas. “And a dingo. And some boys,” he finished with an accent.

Jaime grabbed my hand and we immediately began running like little kids. He shouted over his shoulder, “We’ll meet up later! Gift Shop. One o’clock!” and continued running while holding my hand. I couldn’t help but laugh like a little kid because he was so childlike. He grabbed a folded map and quickly looked at it.