Chapter 18: It Was Nice Knowing You

Dakota’s POV

- Monday -

Vic hadn’t called me since Saturday. I got that he was on tour and was super busy, but a text would have been nice. I managed to resist the urge to cut again.

- Wednesday -

Still not a call from Vic. Did promises mean absolutely nothing to him? I didn’t want to sound like the overly-annoying girlfriend, but I really did miss him. Maybe he wasn’t actually cheating on me, and maybe he was, but I still needed to hear his voice either way. He may have let me go, but I didn’t think I could ever let him go.

“Hey Kota, have you seen that weird envelope we got the other day?” Audrey asked me. My heart stopped for a moment. I knew exactly where that damn letter was.

“No, I haven’t seen it. It didn’t have any writing on it, so it must not have been that important anyways.”

“Oh. Okay then. Oh and by the way, Shay will be here on Friday! It’s about time though, right? We need something around here to pick you back up,” Audrey called out from her room. Little did she know that there was a lot more to what I was feeling right then than just missing my boyfriend. Or whatever he was.

- Thursday -

“Audrey, what do you think is going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“With Vic. I mean, he promised to call me every day, and he hasn’t even made an attempt... I think he’s with someone else...” I told Audrey, biting my lip.

“I seriously doubt that. Look at it this way. They’re all on tour, playing gigs every day and sometimes twice a day. They’re all tired and worn out, plus they have to help set up and clean up, so they don’t have much time to call or do anything. And when they do have time, they’re probably sleeping. Don’t worry about it okay? Everything will be fine,” Audrey reassured me.

“Okay.” I tried to think on the positive side, but that was nearly impossible with all the shit going on right then.

-  Friday night -

There was a knock on the door. Audrey and I both turned to look at eachother, then bolted to swing open the door and greet our best friend, Shayleigh. She had a creepy smile on her face, and both Audrey and I turned to each other and smiled, before running at her with our arms open. In that moment, I was so happy, I forgot about all the shit I had gone through the last few days.

“GAAHHHH! Oh my god I missed you so much don’t ever leave me again ugh I’m so happy to see you!!” Shay squealed as she hugged both of us at the same time. She jumped as she hugged both of us, our legs rubbing against each other’s. Ouch. I flinched and drew away from the embrace.

Audrey gave me a strange look because of my sudden movement, but Shay didn’t seem to notice, so I ignored Audrey and wrapped my arm around Shay, who was still hugging Audrey. Those two had always had an extremely weird friendship, but it was hilarious and we all played along. As I put my arm around Shay, Audrey pretended to growl, as though she was warning me to stay away.

Shay laughed. “We are each others women, you have to accept that!”

“Oh really, because this one over here is taken,” I said. I watched Shay’s eyes grow wide as she started to freak out, and pulled Audrey into another big hug, while jumping up and down.