Chapter 10: Hello, Miss Lady

Dakota’s POV

As soon as I woke up, I checked my email and couldn’t believe what I saw.

“Audrey wake up!” I ran into her room and bounced her awake.

“What? What is it?” She sat up immediately.

I took a deep breath. “I just got an email and AP is sending us on a road trip to San Diego for a week to take pictures and write articles and we’re getting paid good money!!” I rushed out in one sentence.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?” Audrey exclaimed. We hugged each other tightly and were squealing from excitement. “When do we leave?”

I paused for a few moments, realizing how little time we had to prepare. “Tomorrow!” I ran back into my room and pulled my suitcase down from the top of my closet.

Audrey followed me into my room asking a million questions.

“What will we bring, and how are we going to get there, and do we need to book a hotel, or do we go in an RV, and who are we going to interview?” I laughed at her, grabbing her hands.

“I have no clue! Maybe we could call someone,” I told her, grabbing my phone and dialing the number to the office, and asked to be directed to our boss. I waited anxiously on the line with Audrey until our he picked up.

I spoke with him. “Hi, this is Dakota and Audrey. Yeah, we’re stoked!”

“Put it on speaker!” Audrey whispered to me, so I did.

“Fantastic! Would you like to stay in a hotel or rent an RV for the week?”  he asked us. Audrey and I look at each other and decided to go with the RV. Sure, they were butt-ugly and not exactly comfortable, but we didn’t really like the whole being-pampered-and-having-everyone-serve-us game that came with staying at hotels.

“An RV would be great!”

“Perfect! We’ll have it at your apartment by tonight. And you guys will be interviewing...” We heard him shuffle through papers. He continued, “A new, up-and-coming band called Owls in the Attic. Now, the interview will only be one day, but we are paying for you two to stay for a week. You have been working hard and deserve a short break!”

“Okay, awesome. You can count on us!”

“Thank you, ladies!” He hung up.

Audrey and I turned to each other and hugged, jumping up and down. “Our first real interview!!” I practically yelled.

We were both ecstatic about this interview. After eating breakfast, we packed our suitcases and had them waiting by the door. I suddenly realized that we would be away from the guys for a week. I wondered if Audrey had realized that yet...

“Hey Audrey..” I said, walking towards the couch, where she was sitting.

“Hmm?” she responded

“We’re going to be gone for a week..”

“Yeah, I know..” she replied. “And?”

“We’ll be away from the guys.. and you’ll be away from Jaime,” I told her gently. I saw her face immediately drop. I felt the same pang of hurt that she did, but I didn’t show it.

“Shit,” she whispered, looking down.

I suddenly had the most brilliant idea. “Audrey let’s invite them to come with us!!”

“YESS!” She stood up and high-fived me, then ran for the door. I ran after her.

We both banged on their apartment door, grinning like fools. Tony opened the door.