Closing Up

He let out a gasp as he was enveloped by coldness. He sat up quickly, only to sag as he realized he had just fallen in the snow. He must have dozed off and fallen off his stool. He groaned as he fell back in the snow; god, he felt awful. What had he...

Sans' sockets flew open.

Wait.

He'd done this before, just a few hours ago. That meant he'd reset.

And he survived!

He laid there in the snow for a moment, staring straight up as his brain caught up with the facts. He really did make it. He hadn't melted. He was still solid, still here, and it was amazing!

A laugh bubbled out of him: not the sharp, strained ones he'd been prone to lately, but a real one, one that came straight from his middle and felt wonderful.

He laughed as long as he could; his bones ached and he was sick, but by god, he was alive.

The laughs faded, and he merely laid in the snow with a sigh.

There was no way to know if the resets would stop. And it wasn't like he could stop them. Nothing mattered, still. Another laugh bubbled up at that thought. If nothing mattered, then why had he been so stressed? That wouldn't help. If he had this much time on his hands, he might as well make the most of it. He could do whatever he wanted. Like, say, be a comedian.

He chuckled once more as he got up and brushed off the snow. Screw work, he was gonna head home and tell Papyrus—the Great Papyrus—how he absolutely should keep working to join the Royal Guard. He walked through the town, taking it in. God, he never thought he'd be grateful for Snowdin of all places. But he supposed everything looked great when you thought you'd be disappearing into the void. He was going to do so much now. He'd help Papyrus as much as he could with his fighting when he wasn't pranking the hell out of him—he could teleport, how had the possibility of pranks never occurred to him before now?—he'd tell tons of jokes and talk to people and...

He paused as he reached Snowdin's edge, looking up at the large house he still passed everyday. The windows were dark, and there was no sign of life anywhere near it.

Still...it looked like home.

He stood quietly for a moment, then turned and headed back into Snowdin. Looking into a bit of real estate was definitely the first thing he should do with this new lease on life.

~

"Sans, I've nearly tripped twice now! Can I please look?"

"Not yet, bro. Just another minute."

Sans guided Papyrus, hands obediently held over his sockets, to the front porch, instructing him to stay put as he pulled out the key to Ga—their house. He unlocked the door, then pulled Papyrus inside. "All right, Pap, you're good. Take a look."

Papyrus pulled his hands away, and he let out a gasp. "Wowie! A house!"

"Our house," Sans corrected, sticking his hands in his pockets. Papyrus looked at him with wide sockets.

"Wait, really?"

"Yep. Signed it all off and everything."

Papyrus was practically bouncing in place. "We have a house! And we live right next to work!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!"