Meeting

This was the big day; they were going to get the research group together. Or...at least try and convince some monsters to think about it with an informational meeting. Sans couldn't help but be nervous as he waited in the lab. What if no one decided to show? Or if they did, but got too freaked out and left? How would they be able to proceed with the research if either of that happened? There was Gaster's assistant—or apprentice? He kept mixing up the words when he mentioned her—but she was already doing an in-depth study on something called "determination," and apparently she wanted absolutely nothing to do with messed-up timelines. God, they should have chosen a better way of getting the word out; how would anyone take flyers asking "Feel like you're living the same day over and over? Then come to the Royal Lab to discuss it!" seriously?

Sans rubbed his face as he sat down. Regardless of whether they had more people working or not, there was going to be Asgore to deal with. Gaster had promised he'd talk to the king and made sure that he knew this was something important, and that Sans's role in it was absolutely critical. But what if Asgore said no? Or what if he said yes? Then how would Sans manage to juggle his job AND this research? And when would he have time for Papyrus?

He looked up as a hand fluttered onto his shoulder, catching Gaster giving him a reassuring smile.

"I did not think I would ever see you worried," the scientist said with a small laugh.

"I'm not worried!" Sans quickly assured. "This is gonna be fine. It'll be great. We'll...hopefully have people show up, and I'll tell them the science stuff, and if no one comes that'll be fine, we'll figure stuff out and god, no one's gonna come, are they?" he finished, dragging his fingers down his face.

Gaster's smile didn't waver, and he pat Sans' shoulder. "Do not worry. If no one comes, then we will find a way to proceed. I cannot tell you how many experiments I have done on my own, and they have all ended well." He shrugged. "Most have ended well," he amended, holding up his hands with a wry smile. "And I will make sure that I take the brunt of any injuries; a few more cracks will not be an issue. Asgore tells me it adds, er, character, I think is the word he used."

Sans looked up with a little smile. "Heh." He looked down at his notecards. "Well, a couple people have to be interested, right? We can...I'm sure we can work with that."

Gaster smiled and pat the other skeleton's shoulder. "Spoken like a scientist," he said before returning to the timeline diagram.

Sans let out a breath. Just a few people. He could do this.

~

He couldn't do this.

Sans stared at the monitor in quiet horror. An ocean of monsters were outside the door; fish people, bunny people, lava people, so many dogs. He had just gotten himself ready to deliver a talk to a handful of monsters, not a whole audience!

Even Gaster—prepared-for-anything Gaster—looked surprised as he saw the turnout. He looked down at Sans. "I did not realize so many knew of resets."

Sans managed a tight smile. "Maybe they just came to see you," he joked. Gaster frowned.

"That is ridiculous, Sans." He looked at the monitor again. "Well. I suppose it is time to let them in. Are you still able to do the speaking?"

Sans swallowed. "Don't have much of a choice, do I?"

Gaster looked at him apologetically. "I could manage, if you are nervous. I just...worry I will not be clear."