Reset?

Something was off today.

Sans laid in his bed for a few moments, trying to figure out what it was that felt so...wrong. His room looked the same as it always did, even in the dark. He was still a skeleton. They were underground. He got up, switching the off button on his alarm as he did so—he didn't know why he kept setting it, he rarely slept anyway—and heading over to the room next door. Ever so carefully, he opened the door and peeked in. He was greeted by light snores accentuated by the occasional "Nyeh-heh-heh," and the light from the hall showed a pair of bony feet sticking out over the edge of the mattress. Aside from needing a bigger bed, everything seemed fine in Papyrus' room. He shut the door to let his little brother sleep, then headed back to his room.

The wrongness had subsided a bit, and he couldn't remember what his worry had been. Maybe a bad dream? He shook his head and opened his curtains, room filled with the red light from the Core.

Welp. Time to get ready to be Judge.

Nah, he should be more grateful about this. The gig really wasn't that bad: it got him and Papyrus free room and board, the protection of King Asgore Dreemurr, and hopefully a good view for when the Seal was eventually broken. And he'd gotten it all by taking out some jerk who'd come at him with a frying pan. So what if the hours were terrible and there was more waiting than action? Papyrus was taken care of and safe as anything out here—not to mention how much he LOVED helping with the puzzles—and Sans...well, Sans had something to do while he waited to get to the surface.

Still, he'd be absolutely lying if he said it wasn't a little exciting seeing that weird flower when he entered The Last Corridor.

Hands in his pockets, he walked over to it with a small frown. He crouched down to study it curiously; it looked like the ones Asgore grew in his throne room. But how could it have gotten all the way out h--?

"Howdy!"

Sans jumped at the greeting, nearly falling over. The flower laughed as the skeleton caught himself.

"Golly, I sure got you, didn't I?" it asked, a smile appearing in the center of its petals. Sans looked down at it for a moment, then let out a little laugh.

"You know what? You did, pal. Nice work," he said, sticking his hands back into his pockets. "So how'd you end up here, little guy? This isn't exactly a high traffic area for monsters."

"Oh, I'm not a monster! I'm a flower," the flower chirped back. "Flowey the Flower! And I've been here loads of times!"

Sans' bony brow furrowed. "Really?" He was sure he'd remember seeing a talking flower around here. He crouched down to be on Flowey's level. "So what are you doing here today?"

Flowey gave him a big grin. "I'm gonna see Asgore!"

Ah, an Asgore fan. They got plenty of those in here. Still, most never got past the entrance...he should probably tell Undyne to give the guards a little more training. Sans gave an apologetic smile. "Aw, sorry, buddo, I can't let you in to see him. After that last human, visits are by appointment only." He stood up. "But, y'know what? Since you went to all this trouble, I'll go tell him and we'll see if we can sort something out. Wait right here." He turned to walk down to the throne room, but was stopped by something wrapping around his ankle and pulling him back.

"This isn't a request, you idiot."

Sans whipped his head around; Flowey's face had changed from a cute smile to a horrific grin. It laughed.

"You've looked surprised every time. Gosh, it's a shame you can't remember."

Every...what? Sans shook his head and tugged his foot away from Flowey's vine, eye glowing blue.

"I'd really suggest leaving now if you d—"

"If you say 'if you don't want to have a bad time,' I'll reset right now," Flowey snapped. "The least you could do is be creative."

Re-what? It took all of his training to keep his focus on the threat rather than the nonsense Flowey was spouting out. But still...how had he known what he was gonna say? As the thought crossed his mind, a smug smile appeared on Flowey's face.

"Aw, that's right, you don't know what I'm talking about. I'd explain, but what's the point if you're just gonna die anyway?"

Sans let out a cry of surprise and jumped back as a wave of white pellets shot at him, grunting as one grazed his arm. He grit his teeth and held up his hand to pull Flowey from the ground; an uprooting should take care of the damn weed. His eye flickered as he realized it wasn't doing anything. A chilling laugh erupted from the flower.

"Is that your levitation trick? That only works on souls, moron." Another wave of pellets came at him, but this time he was ready, diving away without a hit.

"No soul? Glad you made no bones about it," he grunted.

"Was that a pu-" Flowey was cut off as he was assailed by wave after wave of bones. Sans couldn't help his smile; he'd always wanted to say that. He shot off another attack before Flowey could regroup. As he prepared a third, the wilting flower cried out, "Mercy!"

Sans paused, eye still glowing blue. "And why should I spare you?" he asked coldly. "You just tried to kill me, and I'm really doubting you wanted to meet Asgore for tea."

Flowey took a few moments, then said, "You're the Judge, right? You're supposed to judge me on everything I've done, not what's happened right now."

Sans frowned hard. "All right, fine." He held his hands out. "I'm all ears. Tell me what you've done."

With some difficulty, Flowey looked up, the ghost of a smile flickering on its face. "Heh..." It looked down again, then pulled itself up and looked up at Sans with a wide, ghastly smile.

"Why don't you pay attention this time around?"

"Wh—"

...

Something was off today.

Sans laid in his bed for a few moments, trying to figure out what it was that felt so...wrong. His room looked the same as it always did, even in the dark. He was still a skeleton. They were underground. He got up, switching the off button on his alarm as he did so—he didn't know why he kept setting it, he rarely slept anyway—and heading over to the room next door. Ever so carefully, he opened the door and peeked in. He was greeted by light snores accentuated by the occasional "Nyeh-heh-heh," and the light from the hall showed a pair of bony feet sticking out over the edge of the mattress. Aside from needing a bigger bed, everything seemed fine in Papyrus' room. He shut the door to let his little brother sleep, then headed back to his room, but stopped halfway there.

No.

This was all wrong.

Hadn't this happened before?

Sans held his skull. This couldn't have happened before. He'd remember it. But this was so much stronger than déjà vu. He felt a chill crawl down his spine. Had something happened? Something he couldn't remember?

He'd heard guards whisper to each other about how they felt like they were forgetting something, or that something strange was going to happen, but for the most part they were shrugged off as a result of doing the same thing day after day. No one ever thought too seriously on it. But maybe now would be a good day to start thinking seriously. Something told him that whatever had happened put Asgore at risk, and as the final defense before the throne room, there was no way he could leave it be.

He quickly got ready and went to New Home as fast as he could. He had to be there in case anything happened. And after that, he needed to go to someone who would be able to look into this. Maybe who already knew what was happening.

He needed to go to Gaster.