Changes

Sans bolted straight up with a gasp. His bones ached, and he felt sick, but that didn't matter. He pushed himself out of bed, ignoring the nausea and weakness. He had to make sure this had worked. He froze as he heard a crash and a clatter of bones.

"Papyrus!"

He ran down the stairs as fast as he could, nearly stumbling as his head swam. Could skeletons throw up? He hadn't thought about it, but now wasn't the time.

"Pap-Papyrus, I'm co..." He trailed off as he reached the kitchen, finding Papyrus mid-monologue.

"And I, the Great Papyrus, will be willing to spare you, but if you refuse I shall have to—"

"Papyrus!" Sans gripped the doorway, his sockets wide. Oh god, oh god, it had worked! His face split into the widest smile he'd ever worn, and he more or less launched himself at his brother, hugging him tight enough to send a few pops through Papyrus' spine.

"Ouch!" Papyrus frowned down at Sans, and he freed one of his arms to wave at the whimpering Whimsun. "Sans, this isn't the time for horseplay! There is a threat in our house!"

Sans laughed and forced himself to let Papyrus go. He wiped at his sockets, once again wet but this time with relief. "Oh my god...oh my god, I'm so glad you're all right."

"I-I appreciate your concern, Sans, but...it's not really that much of a threat," Papyrus said. He looked down at Sans, slightly concerned. "Are you all right?"

"Yes! I am...I am doing so good. Everything is great!" He let out a breath and shook his head. "Okay, yeah. So you're about to fight the Whimsun, right?" He looked up at Papyrus, whose sockets were narrowed as he looked at him. "Pap?"

"Sans, there's something...weird about your face."

Sans' smile fell. "Weird? Weird like what?"

"It's..." Papyrus' odd look faded, and he poked Sans' cheekbone. "It's lazy, like the rest of you! I told you, there's a threat in our house,and I, the Great Papyrus, will not allow it any longer!"

Sans laughed. "The Great Papyrus can definitely handle it. And uh, you might want to check the bone drawer before you start the fight. I don't want you to be howling mad." He backed out of the kitchen and stopped halfway up the stairs as he heard "Again?" and, a moment later, "SANS!" as Papyrus got the joke.

God, god, he had never been so relieved. Papyrus was alive. It had so been worth the risk. He'd be careful this time. Tell Papyrus to keep his guard up, no matter what. Keep an eye on him when that day rolled around.

He sighed contently as he reached his room. Today, he remembered, was where he revealed his reset...well, the first one. But maybe he could skip it...he'd much rather spend as much time as he could with his brother. He rubbed his skull as he walked over to his dresser.

"So...be faithful to the timeline or spend the day with Papyrus?" he asked himself, looking up at his reflection. "What do y—" He stopped, sucking in a sharp breath.

Beneath shocked eye sockets, his mouth was stuck in a wide grin.

"What? What?" He spoke aloud more to see if his mouth moved, but it stayed firmly stuck. He tried to open it, to close it, to frown...eventually he even grabbed his lower jaw and tried to push it closed, but no luck. His face was frozen from the nasal cavity down.