Recovery

Before he was even fully conscious, Sans knew that he hurt. A lot. Just the slight movement he made as he woke was enough to send all of his bones screaming.

With a grimace, he exhaled and slowly opened his eyes, the room coming into focus. And it...wasn't his. He half-bolted up, stopped by a wave of pain. Where was he? How long had he been asleep?

"Pap..." he called hoarsely, pushing past the aches to try and get out of the bed, but his body just wasn't having it. He toppled onto the floor in a heap of sheets and bones, crying out in pain and unable to even push himself up.

Almost immediately after falling down, he heard frenzied footsteps, and the door banged open.

"My god, Sans!"

All at once, another wave of pain hit Sans as he felt himself be scooped up and set back on the bed. He squinted his sockets open, taking deep breaths to counteract the waves of pain still hitting him.

"G-Ga—"

"Hush. You are fine." Gaster very gently adjusted the sheets and blankets over him. "Though you should not be awake yet, much less trying to get up. That is my mistake."

Sans shut his eyes again as his breathing evened. Finally, once he was able to, he peeked his sockets open and asked, "Where'm I?"

Gaster's hands fluttered—not a word, just him trying to think. "Er, my house. My apologies, but I did not know where you live." He looked over Sans for a moment. "But I will explain later. I will be back. Er, please do not try to move again." He quickly turned and exited the room. Sans let out another breath and grimaced as he settled back against the pillows. Gaster definitely didn't have to worry about him running away.

Eventually, the scientist returned, a steaming mug in his hand. He very carefully sat on the edge of the bed.

"Just another moment," he said, swirling the cup. Sans watched him with half-shut eyes.

"How long've I been 'sleep?"

"About twelve hours. Not nearly long enough for you to recuperate."

Sans' sockets went wide and he half-sat up. "Twelve hours?! But Papyrus..."

"Sans, do not move so much," Gaster scolded gently. He gave the mug one last swirl. "I found Papyrus while you were asleep and let him know you were, er..." His free hand waved, but Sans couldn't even begin to try translating the vague motion. "...well, I said you were...recuperating, I think, is the word, here after an incident at the lab. He is fine, if worried." He smiled. "You are fortunate to have such a caring brother. Now, I will need you to drink this."

"Whuh is it?"

"Something to help you sleep a little longer." Gaster tipped the mug against Sans' teeth, and a warm, thick liquid poured into his mouth. Despite the pain and grogginess, Sans still made a face at the awful medicine-taste, but the moment he finished, he felt his eyelids drooping. He relaxed against the pillows, vaguely aware of a fluttering hand just barely brushing against his browbone.

"I will explain more later," Gaster murmured just as Sans dropped back into unconsciousness.

~

The next time he woke up, he only had a moment of panic before remembering where he was. He sighed and settled back into the bed; the pain wasn't quite so bad this time around, but he still wasn't about to get up and start dancing about. Instead, he looked around. Like the rest of Gaster's house, this room seemed pretty bare—a dusty dresser and the bed were the only furniture, and there weren't even curtains on the one window. Then again, Sans really wasn't one to judge (he couldn't help his little laugh as he thought that); half the time he couldn't be bothered to put the sheets on his own bed.