Chapter 20-"In Search"

Tiana's Pov

"Tiana, baby talk to me please." Michael begged as I scrambled around the room and threw any form of clothing into my duffle bag. Sweat was beginning to dribble along my forehead but I couldn't pay to much attention to it.

I nearly wanted to cry at the fact that Riley was now addicted to drugs and the possibility of it being my own fault rang clear in my mind. If i hadn't left for selfish reasons than Riley probably wouldn't have even entertained the idea of such activites. I wanted to punch myself.

No, I wanted to punch Auntie Bonnie. So much anger was building up in me that once Michael went to touch me I shoved him away. I panted heavily as he looked at me with hurt yet understanding eyes. I took that moment to drop onto my knees while the tears I refused to let fall, went down my cheeks.

"This is all my fault." I sobbed while Michael's arms wrapped around my body in a comforting manner. "She never would've done that stuff if I hadn't left." I hypervenilated while Michael continuously shushed me and brushed my hair down softly.

"It's not your fault Tiana." He whispered before pulling away to take a good look at mt face. He softly rubbed away the tears lining my eyes with his thumb. I knew I needed to go back home and that it was only a matter of time but stupidly I had believed that things were going fine since Riley hadn't been calling.

But now the pieces all fit together to make a dysfunction picture of Riley on drugs and Auntie Bonnie not giving a shit. I didn't expect her too, but I atlease hoped she would've tried.

I sniffed, "I need to go back home Michael." His brown eyes sadly pierced through the side of my head as I look at the ground beneath me. "But your preganuaunt I—" i cut him off.

"I will be fine. I just need to find my sister and I can't do that if I stay here." I explained briefly then grasped his hand to get to my feet. Michael stopped me from moving any further by placing his hand around my wrist. "I'll help you." He blurted out quickly while studying my face.

"Michael.." I began. "Tiana your out of your mind if you actually believe that I will let you go back alone." Michael sternly questioned in disbelief and searched my face for an answer that I couldn't give. I didn't need him wrapped up in the dysfunction of my family, child or not.

"I can't, you need to finish your album—" he interrupted again. "I need to make sure that you are safe. The album can wait." He cradled my face in his hands while running his fingers over my cheek.

"I finally have something good in my life Tiana, I don't want that taken away in such a quick amount of time. Not again." Michael whispered causing me to deliver a broken closed smile that I couldn't fully deliver. I sighed before allowing myself to nod. "Alright."

Michael released a breath in relief before pressing a tender kiss against my temple then pulling away. I was stupid to think that Michael would willingly allow me to go back home while barring his child. Especially with what had happened before with his previous girlfriend. I shook my head at myself before grasping his hand.

"Let's go."

-

While in the car towards what I had considered to be hell more than home, my foot contiously tapped while I looked out of the tainted windows. Luckily, the feel o Michael's hand brushing against my leg slightly calmed me down. I gave a weak smile his way, which he easily returned before scooching closer and wrapping an arm around me.

"Why is this happening?" I questioned outloud even though I didn't expect an answer. I wasn't given one, but instead a soft shh and Michael's hands running through my hair. I sighed softly before allowing my eyes to close.

So much had happened and it hadn't even been a full twenty four hours. A worry that lingered in my mind was the condition of my sister and how others would react to me being preganuant. I didn't want too much attention drawn to it so I was thankful that I wasn't even showing to begin with.

Soon, after giving brief directions here and there, we finally arrived at Auntie Bonnie's house. Yet all of the lights remained shut off. I inhaled deeply. "You ready?" Michael asked softly while comfortingly rubbing my arm. I hesitantly nodded before getting out of the car to stand infront of the house.

Nothing drastic had changed, which I was happy for. I walked up to the door and grabbed a bobby pin from my hair. "What are you—" i cut Michael off by holding up a finger and sticking the bobby pin into the knob. After turning it and finally hearing a click, the door popped open and I stepped inside.

"Wow, my girlfriend is a criminal." Michael joked causing me to briefly laugh before looking around the dark house. "It's so weird being here again. Even though it hasn't even been long." I commented openly, allowing my eyes to linger on the picture of me and my sister in a christmas frame.

I softly smiled before picking it up. That was the christmas that our parents died and life with Auntie Bonnie wasn't difficult. Even though we didn't have our parents, she made sure to make it seem as if they were still with us. I never understood why she changed into someone I didn't recognize and I still don't.

"Is that your sister?" Michael questioned, looming over my shoulder. With a soft smile I nodded my head and ran my finger over a seven year old Riley who's k9 tooth was missing. "This waa the christmas our parents died." I revealed slowly.

Michael appeared guilty. "Oh— I'm sorry I didn't mean to—" i held up a hand. "No, it's fine. We just had each other then and I just . . . Left her." The words hurt to say but I couldn't deny the truth.

"Hey," he called to get my attention. "This isn't your fault Tiana. You didn't know this was going to happen to your sister." I pursed my lips tightly. "But you can't stand there and tell me that I couldn't have been there." I knew Michael wasn't one to blame but I couldn't help but release some of my anger.

"Im sorry I—" i was interrupted by the sound of glass breaking. Both of our heads snapped towards the currently shattered window.

A skinny form fell onto the ground with a grunt before standing to their full height and revealing there face. A face that was almost unrecognizeable. My mouth fell open.

"Riley?"