Chapter 35: Marry Me

{Austin}

I step off the plane and all that is on my mind is Calli. I want to see her smile, and feel her embrace. The past two years have felt so long without her. I walk past the gate to baggage claim. I pick up my bag with shaky hands. I turn around and take two steps before Calli stands. Her crutches make her even shorter than I am. I smile seeing her beautiful eyes light up. She smiles back and takes a step toward me. I don't even bother to hide the tears streaming down my face. Calli finally makes it to me, and throws her arms around me. Of course this throws her balance off slightly, but I catch her. I lean down and press my lips to hers.

We don't pull away for a few minutes. She feels exactly like she did the last time I held her like this three years ago. I feel bad missing her nineteenth and twentieth birthday, but seeing and feeling her now makes up for the lost time. We finally go back to her house and I see Grey. His eyes light up and he runs toward me.

"Austin!" He squeals. "Miss you."

I lean down and hug him back. "I missed you too Grey." I let go of him and reach into my bag. "I got you something in Australia. Wanna see it?"

Grey nods excitedly as I pull out a stuffed kangaroo; his favorite animal. His eyes widen and he squeals. He takes it from my hands and presses it to his chest.

Mrs. Kelly puts a hand on his shoulder. "Grey what do you say?"

"Thank you Austin." He says before running off.

"His speech has improved a lot." I say. "He sounds better than before the accident."

Mrs. Kelly nods and smiles. "He started talking after Calli began walking again. His therapist said he's been making full sentences and making direct eye contact now" She sighs and I see her try to hide that she wiping her eyes. "He's come a long way."

I reach up and hug Mrs. Kelly.

"Its so good to see you Austin." She whispers.

"You too." I reply squeezing her.

We let go and she looks at me. I think she can see the nervousness behind my eyes. "What's on your mind Austin?"

"Is Nathan here?" I ask. "There's something I'd like to talk to y'all about."

"He should be down in a second. He had to help Calli get up to bed." She says. "She was so exhausted after we picked you up."

Right as she finishes Nathan comes down the stairs. The three of us sit in the living room. My nerves are getting to the point where I feel like I'm about to explode.

"What did you want to talk about Austin?" Nathan asks.

"Well, I don't know how to say this." I sigh. "I love Calli more than anything in the world. I knew how much I did before I left, but being away for so long made me realize how badly I need her in my life." I clear my throat. "I know she's only twenty, and I'm only twenty-one, but this is something I am completely ready for."

I look at the both of them. They know what I'm about to ask. I can see it on their faces. Still they wait for me to say it.

I clear my throat again and open my mouth. "I would like to ask for your permission.." I pause to catch my words. "and your blessing, to ask Calli to marry me."

Tears stream out of Mrs. Kelly's eyes, and Nathan smiles at me. They both look at each other smiling.

Nathan is the first to speak. " Thank you for coming to us Austin."

Mrs. Kelly nods. "You know we already think of you as an extension to this family. The strength and happiness you bring Calli has helped heal this family. You were part of our saving grace." She puts a hand on Nathan's knee. "Besides Nathan."