Chapter 23: Florida

I wake up early the next morning after staying up super late, and sleepily make my way downstairs. My mom and Nathan are sitting at the table holding hands. My mom's got the widest smile on her face; I love how happy Nathan makes her. I come around the corner and plop myself into a chair.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty." My mom says sliding her cup of coffee over to me.

I fake a laugh and take a sip.

"How late were you and Austin up?" Nathan asks.

I groan. "He left around two I think, but I was awake longer. Till maybe 4."

"Why were you awake so long?" He asks.

I look at him. 'I've always had sleeping issues. Especially when I'm nervous or anxious about something."

'Are you nervous about something Cal?" My mom asks.

I sit up more alert now. This is not the conversation I want to have with my new stepfather around.  "Sort of. But it's not that big of a deal." I stutter out.

As if understanding Nathan stands up. "Well I better get to work. I'll be back in time to say bye before you and Austin leave." My mom stands up and hugs him. He softly kisses her before walking towards me.

 I stand up; he stands there awkwardly. "You can hug me goodbye Nathan." I say laughing.

Nathan laughs and quickly hugs me before grabbing his work stuff.

"Bye Nathan." I say.

"Bye Calli. Bye Kelly. Love you."

"Love you too." My mom calls.

We sit back down at the table. "Ok Calli, now spill."

I groan and lean back in my seat. "I really didn't want to have this conversation. I was hoping I could completely avoid it."

My mom's eyes widen. 'Oh is this that talk?" She seems flustered, as if she thought we'd never have this talk.

I nod my head.

"Ok." She sighs. 'Well what do you, uh what do you need to know?"

"How do you know if you're ready?" I ask. "I mean like really, one hundred percent ready."

"Well that's up to you, and your heart.' She says. "There's no pressure right? You're not being forced?"

"No!" I exclaim. "Austin and I haven't even talked about it yet. It's just last night, the thought popped into my head. I feel like I'm ready, but I just don't really know."

"My advice, as awkward as it will be, talk to him." She reaches across the table and takes my hand. 'To me, I don't think you're ready. I think you and Austin need to sit down and talk about it. Or just wait it out a little bit longer."

"But what if he really wants to, and I'm still not ready?" I ask softly.

"If he does, he'll still be willing to wait for you until you are." She looks into my eyes. "Sweetie, Austin loves you, I know that. I also know that he respects you. So he won't care either way. He'll want to make sure you really are ready."

I smile and walk across the table to hug my mom. 'Thank you mom." I whisper.

"Of course baby."  She says softly stroking my hair. "So what were you two doing last night that made you think of this?"

Now it's my turn for my eyes to widen. I pull back and start stuttering. "Well we were just, you know, making out, and our hands just, you know, started wandering and stuff." My eyes look anywhere except at my mom.