Chapter 8: Finally Falling

{Austin}

I was surprised when Calli and I were able to have a normal conversation, that didn't end with her calling me stupid or rolling her eyes at me. I was even more surprised, though, when she said she wanted to start over. We walk out of the dressing room to go back on stage and finish rehearsals. Once we're back on stage, Maddi and Monica give Calli a dirty look. I glance down and we're still holding hands. Calli must've realized it too, because she immediately lets go. The rest of rehearsals go smoothly, and we're ready for the show tonight.

I'm in my dressing room waiting when Dave comes in.

"So what's up with you and Calli?" He asks sitting on the couch.

I look at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"During rehearsals we all saw the two of you holding hands." He raises his eyebrows at me. "So what's going on?"

I sit down next to Dave and shove him. "Nothing's going on. We were just talking earlier."

"Still doesn't explain the hand holding." He points out.

"She was upset. I was comforting her."

Suddenly my mom walks in. "Austin. Are you and Calli dating?" She blurts out.

"See. Told you everyone saw it." Dave says laughing at me.

I look back at my mom. "No I am not dating Calli!" I say growing more and more frustrated. "Like I just told Dave, she was upset about something and we talked. I was trying to make her feel better."

"What was she so upset about?" Mom asks. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine. Just family stuff going on back home." I tell them as I stand up. I walk out the door slamming it behind me. I walk around backstage trying to clear my head when I see Maddi and Monica standing in front of Calli. Maddi jabs her finger in Calli's chest. Monica shoves Calli against the wall. 

{Calli}

I walk out of the girl's dressing room, only to be ambushed by Maddi and Monica. I swear they're never not together. Maddi swings her long red hair off of her shoulder before getting right in my face.

"You better stay away from Austin." She says. "You don't belong with him."

Monica glares at me. "I don't know why he chose you over us. We're prettier, and better dancers." She walks a circle around me, trying to intimidate me. "All you have is, what did you say Maddi?"

"Useless baggage." She spits out. She tries smirking at me, but it just turns out to be a creepy stare.

"Yeah." I say backing away from them. "First off, I have no idea what y'all are talking about. I'm not 'with' Austin. Second, if you call noses that are too big for your faces, and being so stuck up you can't see just how ugly your personalities really are, pretty. Ok, y'all are prettier. And thirdly, I could dance circles around y'all any day."

Maddi steps closer pointing her finger at me. "You're scared of us."

I snort out a laugh. "Ok, yeah I'm terrified of you two rats."

Maddi jams her finger in my chest. "Don't mess with me." She pushes her finger off me, so that I fall backward a little. Maddi turns to walk away. Monica follows, but not before she shoves me hard against the wall, my shoulder taking most of the impact. I slide to the ground, clinging to my shoulder.  try to act tough around them, but I'm fighting so hard to hold back tears.

"Calli, are you ok?" A voice says.

I turn to the voice and see Austin running toward me. "Yeah." I say blinking back the tears. "I just hurt my shoulder earlier, and it started throbbing again."