Chapter 30: You Promise

{Calli}

I'm lying in a bed, surrounded by bare walls and machines beeping. This is all I know. I don't know how I got here, or who else is here. The last thing I can remember is being in the car with Grey and Austin. We'd just picked Grey up from speech therapy. I can't even remember who was driving the car.

The door opens and a man who looks like he's in his mid-forties walks in. His hair is thinning around the edges. He stops by the bed and monitors the heart machine. "Hi Calli." He finally says. "I'm Dr. Richards."

"Why am I here?" I ask. My voice crackles, startling me. "Why do I sound so weird?"

"You don't remember anything, about how you got here?" He asks, leaning slightly forward.

"Well I know Austin and I were picking up Grey after I had a tryout, but that's all I can remember." I answer.

Dr. Richards sighs and takes off his glasses. "Calli, you were in a car accident. You hit your head a couple times and went unconscious."

I stare at him blankly. Shit. I went unconscious. What happened to Grey? Austin? How long have I been unconscious? "Well I couldn't have been unconscious that long. How long's it been? A few hours?"

He opens and closes his mouth several times trying to find the right words to say. "Calli. The car accident was in May. Today is December seventh."

Tears fill my eyes. "That can't be true." I let out a sob. "Where are Grey and Austin? Please tell me they're ok?"

"They're fine Calli. They just had a cuts and bruises. Austin had the worst of Grey. He had a sprain in his neck, but he's fine. They were released the day after the accident." He sighs. "You however were in a coma for seven months."

"What made me wake up?" I ask, my voice shaking.

"None of the other doctors can figure out. You hadn't made any drastic improvements, so it was decided we'd shut off the life support that was keeping you alive. You kept breathing long after you should've though. Then you had a seizure. Tests were done to figure it out, but no one can figure out why."

"Austin was here wasn't he?" I ask. "I heard him talking to me a lot. I thought I was dreaming."

"You heard Austin?" He asks in disbelief.

I nod my head. "Is that normal?"

"No its not. Could you hear anyone else?" He asks leaning even closer.

"I don't think so. I mean I think I heard my mom a couple times, but Austin's voice stood out more." I say.

"Well we're going to let everyone that's here visit you. Who would you like to see first?" He asks walking toward the door.

"Austin and Grey please." I whisper.

He nods then walks out the door.

I look over at the nurse next to my bed. She smiles down at me. "Did you hear him sing to you?" She asks.

I nod my head smiling. "I wanted to wake up and see his eyes, but his voice was just as clear and beautiful as ever."

She smiles and nods her head before turning toward the door. I turn to what she's looking at and I instantly see Austin step in holding Grey's hand.

 "Hi." I manage to say.

Grey shuffles over to the bed. "Calli?" He mumbles.

Her eyes fill with tears. "Hi buddy."

"Mizz yew Calli." He manages to say.

I smile. "I miss you too Grey." I look at his thumb going up to his mouth. I wonder how long that's been happening again. "No more of that ok?"