Chapter 5: Everything Changes

Demi and Beth didn't care how I got the tickets. All they cared about were the backstage passes. We get back to my house and tell my mom about the concert. She agrees to let me go.

Demi does my makeup while Beth straightens my hair. I almost never straighten my hair and the only time I wear makeup is for dance contents or school dances.

I'm not super girly. I wear dresses every now and then, but I don't get dressed up and frilly. It's not my thing. Demi and Beth, on the other hand, live to get pretty and dressy. So by me agreeing to let them do this, makes the night even better.

I put on my  skinny jeans with a cute faded colored tank top, and my black cowboy boots.

"Wait." My mom says. "It's missing something."

I turn around to face her, and see her holding my dad's necklace. He wore it all the time. My mom had it made for an anniversary present after Grey was born. It has four pennies on it. One for the year they met, the year they got married, the year I was born and when Grey was born.

Mama, are you sure?" I ask.

"Absolutely." She whispers as she clasps it sound my neck.

I look down at my chest and hold onto the pennies. "Thank you mama."

She smiles at me then walks out the door. Finally the three of us make our way back to Austin for the concert.

Hollywood Ending opens for Austin, and they're pretty good. After they've finished their set Austin comes out. Demi and Beth scream out the lyrics to every single song. I still am not a huge fan of his music, or really him for that matter.

Toward the end of his set the same large man comes to our seats. He leads us backstage to Austin's dressing room. I look over at Beth and she's hyperventilating. Demi on the other hand, is trying to act as calm as she can. But it just makes her look constipated. I sit down on the couch the man pointed us to and cross my arms. Demi and Beth join me on either side. The door opens and a small woman comes in. She smiles at us.

"Holy crap." Beth whispers. "You're Austin's mom!"

She smiles again. "Yes I am." She extends her hand to each of us. "I'm Michelle and you are?"

I take her hand. "Calli. This is Demi and Beth." I say pointing to each of them. They shake her hand then give each other our "holy crap this just happened face."

"Austin should be here any moment. He's finishing up the other meet and greets." Michelle says.

"Wait this is private?" Demi squeals.

Michelle smiles at us again. "Yes. He arraigned this himself. Well along wit Dave."

"Oh my god! I knew that was Dave!" Beth says.

"Wait. Why did Austin arraign this?" I ask.

"Because he-" Michelle is cut off by the door opening and none other than Austin walking in.

Demi and Beth grab my knees and squeeze them as hard as they can. Which is actually pretty hard.

Austin smiles at us, and sends the girls overboard.

They squeal so loud I almost have to cover my ears.

"Hey guys I'm Austin." He says extending is hand.

Demi lunges taking it first. "I'm Demi. I'm a huge fan. I know all of your songs!"

Beth pushes her out of the way. "I'm Beth! I'm a bigger fan. She just found out about you six months ago. I've known longer!"

Austin smiles at both of them. "Well it's nice to meet both of you. You probably want pictures don't you?"

They both nod their heads like complete idiots. He signs anything and everything of theirs he can. Next he takes pictures with them. All of this while I'm still siting on the couch.

After they're done he looks at me. "You must be Callista."

I force a smile. "Yeah actually it's Calli."

"I'm sorry. Calli." He corrects himself.

Austin looks at his mom. She stands up and goes to the door. "Girls why don't you come with me. I can show you the stage and set list."

You don't have to ask them twice. They run out after Michelle.

"Why did you set this up?" I ask once the door is closed.

Austin sits down next to me. "To apologize for what happened earlier today."

"You mean for ruining my chances of getting a scholarship to my dream school?" I ask.

He looks down and runs his fingers through his dark curly hair. "Yeah. I'm really sorry about that."

"And you thought that free tickets, backstage passes, and a personal apology would make up for that?"

"I had hoped so." He says flashing a smile at me.

"We'll unfortunately for you, I'm not a fan of yours. So, no it didn't work." I stand up and walk to the door.

"Wait Calli." He says grabbing my hand.

"What?" I say turning around. "What can you say that could possibly make today any better?"

"I'm having auditions for a few new back up dancers, and I think you should come tryout."

"Why?"

"Because you're an amazing dancer. And this way if you make it I can make up for crushing your only dream." He flashes another smile at me. "Come back here tomorrow at noon for auditions. I guarantee you won't want to miss it."

I'm taken aback by this. I definitely did not see that coming. "I'll think about it." I say trying to keep composure, as I walk out the door.

I'm met down the hall by Demi and Beth.

"What happened in there?" Beth asks.

"He asked me to audition to be a backup dancer." I say still in shock.

"You're doing it right?" Demi squeals.

"I don't know!" I say. "I have Grey to think about. And my mom. Plus there's no way I could make it."

"Calli you're the best hip hop dancer I've ever seen. You've trained your whole life for this." Demi says.

"Cal. It's your dream. Dancing on tour with a celebrity." Beth says. "Why wouldn't you do it?"

Back at my house I lay in bed thinking about my decision. Beth and Demi right, it is my dream. I play with the pennies on my necklace.

"What do I do daddy?" I whisper.

I roll over and close my eyes, still clinging to the pennies.

When my alarm clock goes off at eight in the morning I know what I have to do. I roll out of bed and get ready. By nine I'm out the door and headed back to Austin.