Chapter 2: The Dream

{Calli}

Sweat pours down my body. My breathing is heavy. I'm so exhausted I don't know how I'm still dancing. Lights are flashing, the audience is screaming his name. My insides scream for more. It doesn't burn anymore my body craves this rush. Now I know how. The rush I get from the crowd keeps me going. Here comes the tricky part. I hear it in the music picking up. I'm in a dancer's arms now. He's flipping me over his shoulder. These flips are effortless now. My feet are back on the ground.

Hands are on my waist. I look into his hazel eyes. I never noticed how beautiful they were before. We dance just like rehearsal, but something feels different. Something between us feels different. I look at his eyes again. He feels it too.

His smile grows as he sings. His hand push me away and I twirl towards center stage. He soon joins next to me. The end of the final chorus is here. The all dance begins. We do the routine from his video.

I have to walk away. That's how this ends. But I can't. I've walked away for the last month of rehearsal, why can't I now? Here it comes. I push off his chest and turn away. The second my hands leave I feel empty. Like there's a hole in my chest.

The music is over and I somehow make it backstage. I hear his voice calling my name, but my vision's blurry. I can't stand up straight. My legs shake. Hands wrap around my back and I'm lifted off the ground. My face is buried in his chest. His laugh fills my ears, as I wrap my arms around his neck. We're spinning around now. I squeeze his neck tighter, and bury my face even more against him.

Finally I'm back on the ground. We pull away and stare into each other's eyes, not even bothering to hide our wide smiles.

"You were amazing out there Cal!" He says through a laugh. "I'm so proud of you!"

I smile at him and open my mouth to speak but, nothing can come out. I feel my throat closing up. I don't know what to do.

"Cal?" His voice sounds concerned. His hands lock on my hips holding me up.

I feel myself slipping away. Right before everything goes black I faintly make out my name being called.

The shrill ringing of my alarm clock brings me out of the dream. My heart is pounding and sweat drips on my forehead. I sit up, gripping the bed trying to make sense of this dream.

I've had the same dream every night for the past month. I'm dancing in front of thousands of people, to a song I don't know, with a bunch of guys I don't know. The part that gets me though, is the emptiness I feel every time I wake up. It feels like I miss him, without knowing who he is. I shake the thought out of my head, and walk to my bathroom. In the shower I wash through my long dark brown hair, still thinking about that dream. Who is the guy, and why do I miss him?

After my shower I get ready for school and grab my dance class stuff. Downstairs my younger brother sits eating his cereal.

"Calli is that you?" My mom calls as I bound down the stairs.

"Yeah mom." I call back.

"Make sure Grey isn't making too big of a mess please!"

I walk to the table and Grey has cereal all over the table. He's nine years old, and has Autism. He looks up at me and his bright blue eyes are shining. His smile is from ear to ear, and never leaves his face. He's my hero.

"Grey you made such a mess here!" I say feigning irritation, as he bursts into giggles. Soon I'm laughing with him as I clean his mess.

"Go get dressed for school bubba!" I say pushing him towards the stairs.

He runs upstairs saying "school, school!", as my mom rounds the corner. Just like every other day, she has bags under her eyes, she wears baggy sweatpants with an oversized T-shirt. Almost always one of my dad's. She puts the basket of clean clothes on the table and plops into a chair. I pour a cup of coffee for her and slide it across the table. She sits up, and now I see her eyes are bloodshot, and cheeks puffy. I wonder how long she's been crying.

My dad died less than a year ago, and mom hasn't recovered from it yet. I haven't either, but I've had to be strong for Grey. He doesn't understand what happened, but knows our mom is different. I look on the calendar: October 19th. Dad's birthday.

"Thank you Calli." She whispers.

I nod at her. "How are you holding up?"

"Okay I guess." She shrugs. "It's just harder today."

I take her hand in mine. "I know. I miss him too." I whisper, not allowing my own tears to escape.

She nods at me before letting go of my hand. She walks out of the kitchen, forgetting the basket of clothes.

Once Grey is ready for school I wait for the bus to come pick him up. I hug him goodbye, before he loads the bus. Just like always his face is pressed against the window, palm wide open.I blow him a kiss, and place my hand on the outside window before backing away.

After his bus moves on down the street I grab my stuff and make my way to school.