Chapter 2: Preparation

The next day found me packing a backpack for tomorrow's Challenges. I included a change of clothes (pair of jeans and an Imagine Dragons tee), an extra dagger, a few bars of ambrosia, some nectar in a canteen, another canteen for water, enough energy bars to last me a month, and a journal- for sentimental reasons. It probably had like one entry from every year since I was eight.

Anyways, I stuffed all of my crap into the bag and headed down to the sword-fighting arena. It wasn't crowded because everyone was well-versed in sword-fighting and needed to work on archery and dagger throwing and all that stuff, which is exactly why I chose the arena to practice in. I was supposed to be meeting my friend Erin for training, but she wasn't there yet. I started on some still dummies to warm up, then turned on the animation and prepared myself for an onslaught of monsters and foes made of dust. I broke a sweat while slicing through enemies with my sword; rather uncharacteristic for a child of Apollo, but I'd worked hard to be a Jack of All Trades. I turned to stab another enemy which I sensed behind me, and met a sword made of black Stygian Iron with my own Celestial Bronze.

"So you weren't lying, you do fight well." It was Nico. I lowered my sword.

"I told you." I said.

"Bet I could beat you though."

"Ha! You? You wouldn't stand a chance, Ghostie!" I grinned, nicknaming him.

"You've never seen me fight, Donnovan."

"Well if you'd quit talking, I suppose we could fix that."

He responded with a slice at my wrist, which I blocked with my own sword. We dueled for a full 10 minutes before he flipped my sword out of my hand. He twirled his sword with a smug grin.

"What were you saying about me not standing a chance?"

"Don't get a big head about it, kid." I muttered, retrieving my sword and sitting on a log.

"Kid? I'm a year older than you, child."

"You sure know a lot about me." I smirked, "Like, a stalkerish amount."

"An age is not a secret." he rolled his eyes.

"Maybe not, but that fact that I don't watch Walking Dead is. Also that I read a lot. What else do you know?"

"I only know that because Percy mentioned it."

"Oh, so I've come up in conversation?" I laughed.

"No! Well, yeah. But only cause you're Percy's 3rd favorite person." Lots of eye rolling.

"After who?"

"Annabeth and me."

"I hardly think that gloomy Nico di Angelo would be Percy's favorite."

He seemed to ponder this for a minute. "I think it's because of my sister."

"Hazel?" I asked.

"No, Bianca." He said quietly, a look of sorrow morphing his features.

"You have another one?"

"Had. She-she died." He began to look as if he were going to cry.

"I'm- sorry." I said, feeling awkward and out of place.

He was silent for awhile. "Anyways, she turned into a Hunter of Artemis and went on a quest with Percy when I was around ten. He promised to keep her safe, but..." he shrugged and rain his hand through hair. More silence. "Well, what can ya do? Wanna practice some archery, I'm a bit rusty." He got up and offered his hand with a forced smile. It was warmer than I'd expected, his hand I mean. I thought it'd be cold. As soon as I was standing, he hastily drew back and walked off.

"Um, Nico. Archery center's over there." I pointed out.

"I know. I just- maybe later. I just realized I- uh. Haven't packed yet. See ya later. Or maybe tomorrow. I might be doing something. I mean, I'm definitely busy. Today. All day. Bye." He jogged backwards a few steps and then took off.

I frowned. "Well that was weird." I said to myself, and apparently also to Erin, who had finally showed up.

"What was weird?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing." I replied, peeling my eyes away from Nico's departing figure.

"Come on Wren, it's definitely something. The extremely attractive camp outcast just sat next to you and held your hand. It's something of the highest degree!"

"He wasn't holding my hand, he helped me up!" I blushed.

"But you aren't denying he's cute." She winked.

"Erin. He's my partner. I'm am not going to fall for the guy I'm camping with for an entire week."

"Well, why not?" She grinned, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

"Cause then we'd be the camp outcast and the camp whore. Even if we did like eachother, we would wait until the week was over. And then some to make sure rumors didn't get out."

"You know, I think you apply too much logic to these things."

"Trust me my friend, I don't."

A/N: There is no such thing as "too much logic" in a camp full of teenagers.

Hope you enjoyed the update! It's a tad short, sorry.