Chapter 21 - Out Of Place

Beginne am Anfang

"That wasn't funny, Harry." I pulled my arm away.

I kept a frown on my face, backing away from him. His smile faded and he sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm an insensitive asshole sometimes."

My mouth dropped open when Harry threw his weight on my bed, wreaking havoc over the freshly folded quilt. He pillowed his head with his hands and shifted a little to make himself comfortable.

"It's getting late." I told him.

"You know me better than that. When have I ever gone to bed at 12?"

"That one time you came home all tipsy." I sat myself down on the chair by the dressing table.

"Tipsy." He chuckled. "You're so..."

"What?" I wanted him to complete it.

"You're just like... leaking with purity." Couldn't he have put it together better? "Like, you're so out of place." He pulled a pillow under his head, elevating himself to get a better view of me.

"Out of place?"

"I mean... how have you been surviving in Fleese?"

"Well, my mum won't let me go out much. And I'm not an idiot, I'd know how to take care of myself even if I do go out."

"Do you even know what sex is?" He asked. I wasn't used to that word yet. It was still so foreign to my ears. And I knew he'd laugh no matter how I answer him.

"I'd rather not discuss it." I looked down, picking at my nails.

He lifted his hands up defensively. "Just curious. But I'm sure your mum has told you that when a mummy kitty and a daddy kitty love each other very much, they-"

"Harry." I warned, struggling to keep a straight face but I ended up laughing.

On the spur of the moment, I wanted to ask him why he had said that I meant something to him. But the last thing I wanted right now was to send him into the state he was in when the topic was brought up in the car. So I decided to let it go eventhough my curiosity was killing me. 

"I wonder who told your dad about us." I said.

"That, I don't know. It was between us, until you told Mrs Briffen."

"But I'm sure she wouldn't tell anyone again after what happened the first time. Besides, she's been gone for the weekend." I said.

"If she didn't tell anyone and I didn't tell anyone, it must be you." He concluded.

"Why would I? I haven't even-" I paused, my thoughts reeling back to a few days ago.

I hadn't talked to anyone about this but Mrs Briffen and... Darren. I took in a sharp breath. Darren didn't know these people. Why would he tell them even if he did? It couldn't be him. But I did think something was amiss when he showed up at the gates when the address of the mansion was supposed to be secret.

"How dare that bastard." Harry cursed and I zoned back in. Had he read my thoughts?

"Who?"

"Who else? That asshole Richard." What I'd told him had slipped his mind for a while and now that he'd been reminded of it, he had resumed his tantrum. "I'm doing something about this."

"No, Harry. He can do things." I reminded him. "Things to my family. It's something you have no control over."

"I'll figure out something." He said as he got off my bed.

"What are you doing for your birthday?" I asked, changing the topic. As much I wanted Harry to get back at Richard for what he did to me, I couldn't let him go through with it. I couldn't put my family in jeopardy.

"I'm... I'm going to the waterfalls in Crestling." He answered, walking over to me. I expected him to throw a party with his friends.

"It's like... this arranged thing. With um... well, my dad's coming too." My heart sunk. He was spending his birthday with Kaylee.

"Oh. T-That's nice." I tried to force out a smile but I failed miserably.

"You okay?" He inquired, bringing his thumb to my cheek. Goosebumps rose at his touch - something I wanted to prevent. I specifically told him not to touch me for this reason, but he didn't listen.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I feared that my voice would crack.

"Okay." His fingers cupped my chin, tilting my face up. He pressed his lips to my forehead, the contact making me dizzy. "Good night." He whispered before heading out the door.

__________

1 million + reads! You guys are unbelievable. Thank you! :)