Chapter 18: Surprise

Adeline locked herself in a room for three days after Mathew had died in her arms, I think she used that time to mourn her grandmother as well. She had lost her family, her friend, and her kingdom. I would bring her food and make sure she was eating. I would run her baths, and change her clothes. She needed a friend and I was going to be there for her every step of the way. The fourth day, Adeline got out of her room with her head held high and determination sketched on her face. She set up a meeting with Dorian and a few generals. They devised a plan in cleansing the castle. Stanley has been on inside man on the other side.

On day six, Dorian left the castle with Rowan and an army back to Fariane. I worried sick as to what was happening back home. I just wanted Dorian to come back to me safe, I don't know what I would do without him.

It wasn't until four days later that a messenger had come to the castle explaining how we had full control over the castle and some lands were traitorous lords were. I had asked if he was aware when the captain would be coming back. He said there needed to be a permanent position of power until the queen returned, so he doubted he would be arriving any time soon. That alone sent me into a spiraling dive into depression. Dorian has been a rock to me from the start. How am I going to stay away from him for this long?

"Lady Liana, her highness the queen of Fariane wishes to speak to you in her private chambers," said a quiet maid. I gave her a warm smile and thanked her for delivering the message before proceeding to Adeline's room.

I knocked on her door asking for permission to come in. Upon hearing her answer I walked in.

She gave me a warm smile. "Liana, excellent. I've been meaning to talk to you."

Adeline looked excited. I wonder what is going on?

"Yes my queen?" I asked.

She scrunched her nose upon hearing me address her so. "That sounds weird coming from my closest friend."

Her closest friend? I liked that. "Well doesn't that make me the luckiest girl in our kingdom."

She laughed and nodded her head. "That would appear so. Liana, I want to remake my court. I want the people I trust the most by my side. I've broken some laws by choosing some of the castle workers, but they have been nothing but kind with me. But there is a position that I could entrust to only someone who's heart I know is pure and who puts the needs of others before her own. Liana, you are the person I trust most right now along with the captain. I would be the luckiest queen if you choose to accept becoming my vizier."

Vizier?! That's the second highest position in the castle!

"I--" I was speechless.

"Please think about it! Your family will be invited to live at the castle. I also wanted to make the captain a vizier along side you, sort of like a partnership. However, he is the topmost person I trust in protecting me and leading the guards. In times of advise I will come to both of you but you Liana, this will be your title. When the captain chooses to retire he might join you in full as my second vizier," she said. Oh my. This was big... This was unexpected...

"It would be an honor to rule along one of the greatest queens to rule Fariane," I said truthfully. I see greatness for our kingdom with Adeline on the throne.

Adeline gave me a startling smile before attacking me in a hug. I hugged her back tightly, after all she was my friend before she was my queen.