Chapter 6: What's a Cookie?

Imogen was giving us the rest of the time before curfew to do whatever we pleased. I for one would like to go outside, but Imogen's voice rang in my head. I can't be outside without an escort. Maybe I can ask one of the guards I befriended to walk with me. But that might send mixed messages, we were not allowed to have any relationships. Well pooh!

I looked at the girls to see what they wanted to do. Maybe they had a better idea.

Adeline smiled shyly. "At this time, I usually meet up with Mathew, we have this thing where we recommend each other a book each week. We've been doing it for years."

Harriet and I shared a look with each other before smirking back at Adeline.

"You do that, I wanted to go try on all my dresses and organize them from the ones I like most to least," Harriet said excitedly. That did not sound that fun. Harriet turned to me now. "Do you want to join me?"

Um...

Just on cue my stomach grumbled. Maybe I can "accidentally" stumble into the kitchen and see if they have any food left over. If Harriet and Adeline aren't with me, it will look less accidental. That is a good idea. Now my excuse...

"I was going to associate myself with the castle more, wouldn't want to get lost tomorrow," I said hoping they haven't seen through my lie. They nodded their heads casually. Yes! I am in the clear.

Adeline and I said our goodbyes to Harriet as I walked Adeline to the library. The kitchen was past the library. After Adeline head in the library I turned to the hall on the left followed by a right, I crossed past the doors of the main hall and went straight past the dining hall. The smell was what led me to the kitchen. Bingo! Putting my hands on the door, I heard a cough behind me. My heart stopped. I was going to be kicked out this competition now for sure. Please don't be Imogen. Please. Please. Please.

I turned around and my heart attacked seized only to rise again. It was Dorian. Oh no! He knew about my love for food, tricking him would be harder than I would think. I was going to be kicked out! Hurry, lie!

"Oh, hello Captain. I'm just about to go into... the library?" I tried. The library? It was so far from here! Way to go Liana!

"Since when does the library smell like cookies?" he asked, I managed to notice the amusement in his eyes. Amusment? That was a good thing... I think.

Wait- A cookie? My eyes widened in curiousity.

"Oooh what's a cookie? I mean..." Oh no. I sighed in defeat. Might as well continue with the truth. "But in complete honesty, did you see the food portion they served us? Enough to feed a mouse."

The tips of Dorian's lips twitched in an attempt to hide a smile. Dear lord! I have once again made a fool of myself. I should drop out of the competition myself to avoid further embrassament.

"I for one, seem to agree with you. I think it's a type of torture," he said very seriously. Oh my! He agreed! I am safe!

"It is!" I replied with the same amount of seriousness. My poor poor stomach. Torture indeed.

Dorian's eyes twinkled in amusement. Wait-- His choice of words with the way he was saying it... Oh... "OH! You just made a joke!" I said all too excited before laughing.

Serious Dorian made a joke! I liked this side of Dorian.

Dorian shook his head, but there was a warm look on his face that made my heart beat faster.

"Well now, it wouldn't be fair for you not to taste a cookie," he said opening the door for me. I did a little courtesy not bothering to hide my excitement. I couldn't wait for this notorious cookie. I walked in and the smell hit me harder than before. Heavenly! My stomach grumbled at such a smell.