Part Twenty... Last part

"You see, I don't  get to grow old with my husband. Chris means everything to me, and it's hard to sit here and tell you all of this and to know this is my final goodbye to Chris. He has been taken away from me at age thirty-eight. But I know that when I go... I will be with Chris in heaven. There we will forever be those two teenage kids who were so in love and dancing to sonny and Cher..." Gordie put his arm around me, "Thank you to everyone who came today." He said because I was crying too hard to say it. The room cleared out. The only people left were Teddy, Vern, Gordie, and I. "You son of a bitch," I heard Teddy whisper, "you goddamn son of a bitch. Always trying to help people. Always trying to do the right thing. Goddamnit Chambers." He started to cry. I went over and hugged him. "I'm so sorry Kandy." He whispered, "Chris was such a good guy and I'm so sorry that it killed him." Teddy pulled out of the hug. "I'm...uh.. I'm gonna go guys." I nodded my head. He shook hands with Vern and Gordie. That was the last time any of us saw or heard from Teddy. He got arrested shortly after that. Vern hugged me, "You'll be okay ok? Sincerely. If you need anything... Anything at all just give Donna a ring. You can come stay with us if you need." I nodded and hugged him tighter. "I better motor so I  don't miss my flight back to Castlerock. Remember, if you need anything."
"Thanks Vern." I said kissing his cheek. After Vern left it was just Gordie and I. We were silent for a long time. "I should've made time to come see you guys." Gordie said crying. "I haven't seen Chris in ten years. Now I won't ever get another chance to. Chris I'm so sorry that I didn't come see you!" He was breaking down. I put my arm around him, "Hey Gordie, it's ok man." I pulled the old photo from the tree house out of my purse. "Here. Chris would want you to have this." Gordie looked at it and hugged me. There was another long tear filled silence. Gordie left. I was all alone in the room. "Damnit Chris." I said out loud. "People were wrong about you. They said you were born to be a leaver. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I love you Chris Chambers. I always will. I'll see you again someday..."